Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is this ok

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
andyrad

Is this ok

Post by andyrad » Sun May 11, 2014 9:17 am

seen this x5  http://www.premier-carcentrechorley.co. ... 4113256169 what you guys think is price right
Last edited by andyrad on Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

andyrad

Re: Is this ok

Post by andyrad » Sun May 25, 2014 10:03 am

What r these like on fuel only do about 100 miles a week
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Last edited by andyrad on Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:31 am

[quote="andyrad"]
seen this x5  http://www.premier-carcentrechorley.co. ... 4113256169 what you guys think is price right
[/quote]

I'm a bit confused at it being described as a 4.4 2006, perhaps it was one of the last ones registered.  Quick look shows no comms pack,  thats a lower than usual spec on these vehicles.  My fuel consumption on a 4.8 is around 22-24mpg and I do a lot of mileage, but I know heavy footed driving can lead to very poor consumption, so it all depends on your driving style really.  Its a big petrol engine, so never going to run on the sniff of an oil rag.
Best to go and look at it if interested as dealers tend to big up their cars for obvious reasons-    but I must say the lack of comms pack would put me off, even though the OEM comms pack is rather dated now.  Price seems about right given the lack of spec, but you would need to check it carefully as to condition.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

andyrad

Post by andyrad » Sun May 25, 2014 11:48 am

It's got sat nav rear dvd in headrest bi xenon

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:54 am

looks good!! nice colour, good presence.  The genuine nav wouldn't put me off, the aftermarket one is probably a zillion times better than the spectrum zx style one fitted to original comms specced cars. 

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 pm

[quote="andyrad"]
It's got sat nav rear dvd in headrest bi xenon

[/quote]

Satnav on the rear screens !!!!! What use is that :D
If it's still got the single slot cd and radio installed, where do you have the satnav screen?????
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:37 pm

you can see it has the satnav screen in dash!! really? are you honestly thinking it has satnav in rear dvd system??

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sun May 25, 2014 6:26 pm

The seats, particularly drivers seat bolster, look a bit hammered to me.  The photos don't exactly show it clearly,  but the screen in the dash looks like an OEM one, just confused by their description of the BMW business single CD and no mention of BT etc, perhaps it is an aftermarket job after all.  That would put me off, personally, even if a TomTom is better these days, as I prefer a high spec car rather than one with extras cobbled on later, but its a personal choice.    Probably best to go and look it over carefully given the rather odd way its been described. Looks tidy enough, worth a look if you want a V8.  I would still prefer a 4.8is over the 4.4 anyday, amongst the V8s - Alpina rules! Lol

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

kjb1

Is this ok

Post by kjb1 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:22 pm

This car is NOT being oddly described.  Deary me.  Its stating it has SAT NAV, has PS3 and has REAR ENTERTAINMENT.  Where is the oddness in that? lol, and has a single disc cd player ( which is still technically correct )
It no doubt does have bluetooth as all aftermarket units have it these days, plus it looks like the replica head unit, hence the looking like oem. 

The seller like most traders doesn't need to know the in's and out 's of every make model known to man.  They dont have time for that. People here religiously follow the X5, and yes hats off to you, you know bits and bobs about the cars because you live and breathe them!! not every model!! which a trader has to effectively do.

The sellers basically input cars vin, get the original spec list from the manufacture build, then cut and paste details into adverts.  Its simple.  Hence the bmw business single cd head unit description.  It no doubt is aftermarket and will include nav, bluetooth, a2dp streaming, iphone integration, dvd playback etc. 

My idea.  Call the seller, speak to him.  Ask for more pics even!! either way, the original NAV is guff!!!
Last edited by kjb1 on Mon May 26, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:29 pm

So what if the original nav is "guff"?  It works adequately and many people are quite happy with it. Clearly you are not.  The cars description does not fit the BMW description of vehicles of that era, hence the "odd" description, as it is not described as per factory description. Deary me. Not difficult for a seller to get the proper description and paste it on their website. 
Personally I would avoid a low specced car that has had aftermarket stuff cobbled into it, but the only way of knowing, due to the sellers confusing description, is to go and see the car, or phone and ask - there I agree with you. However, the caveat is that the seller can't be bothered to describe it accurately.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:36 pm

By the way, the original nav works fine, not the latest technology, but hey, it works.  It certainly is not "guff" , it is integrated into the car and if your discs are updated to the latest, gets you to destinations without a hassle.  The Comms pack is desirable to most people while lower spec cars are not, although it no longer carries the hefty premium it used to.  Old but works. Buy a new X5 if you want a brand new one!

kjb1

Is this ok

Post by kjb1 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:59 am

It is clearly the correct description??? you have lost me on  that one??? it basically is the original spec, with seller adding it has nav ( it does ) rear entertainment ( it does ) and a games console dvd player ( it does ).  So you have lost me?

And regarding your advice on telling me I am not satisfied with the Navigation in an e53, and to buy a new car if I am not satisfied, with all due respect,where have I ever stated that I currently own an e53? For the record I have not had an e53 for 3 years now.  And even 3 years ago the nav was utter guff compared to anything under £150 from tom tom, garmin etc.  And I can only imagine it feels even more guff now lol!! you seem to be taking my comments about the navigation very personally?? Its not a personal jibe at you, it is my opinion, so please leave the cattiness at the door. 

Regarding getting a new car , no thanks, Im quite happy with the e70, which for the record I also think has a rubbish oem nav system. 

Regarding buying an e53, for the original poster of thread.  These days I would not be put off by a car with no standard nav.  As long as rest of spec is up there ( just because e53 didn't have factory nav didn't mean it couldn't have everything else!! ), the aftermarket navs are 1 million times more functional these days!! so thats my view........and condors.  Plus the standard nav is dogged with issues !! nav units fail, its tech from stone age, screens fail, go murky etc.
Last edited by kjb1 on Thu May 29, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lloydy

Post by Lloydy » Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm

I quite like the standard nav system, never actually use it though lol

Looks like a nice car to me, I really like the wheels on it

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Thu May 29, 2014 1:22 pm

But aftermarket navs lose the OBD functionality of the car (or at least the method of setting / resetting it!!)
Personal choice.

I cant compare as I only have the Business cassette!!!!
Use TOMTOM on the Ipod Touch and arguements from the Mrs saying Why are you going down there!!!!
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

kjb1 - Try comparing apples with apples!  You cannot make a fair comparison of new kit with tech from the 1990's. 

It may be that compared to the latest batch of nav hardware you can buy that the system in the E53 is (according to you) 'guff' but in technology terms the decade or more that has passed since the Mk4 came out has seen all that kind if technology change massively.

When the Mk3 & Mk4 were designed, the US Military who own the GPS System still had the 'dither factor' switched on.  Only the UK had 7-digit postcodes and the Post Office charged a fortune for the database.  Two reasons why UK spec cars had 'issues'.  Even the TMC licence was over £100 per user/year which when put together adds up to the excessive price of the discs etc.  It's not all BMWs fault (though I agree there is some excess in their pricing) just the way of the market.

Many of the so called issues were fixed over the various firmware upgrades as time moved on.  Ultimately the BMW systems sell in the thousands whereas the Garmin/Tom Tom systems sell in the millions every year.  That kind of product does not need to be so expensive.  In many cases it's throw away tech.  The so called 'free for life maps' are only for the 'useful life of the device' and if you don't update regularly you get cut off from them.

LCD displays have a finite life and car units are in a hostile environment of heat, cold and humidity, hence some not lasting all that long.  Plenty of displays are absolutely fine and have never had any kind of fault.  The same unit in our 2005 E46 is perfectly fine, and that's a convertible so in an even more 'hostile' environment.

So you personally don't like the Mk4 or the E70 nav systems.  I think everyone got that message.  But understand the tech behind some of this stuff before you go to town with your abrasive opinions.

Or perhaps change your name to 535dboyzbrother..... :P. LOL
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.