Grrr Dealers... Any thoughts folks ?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
shocks

Grrr Dealers... Any thoughts folks ?

Post by shocks » Thu May 02, 2013 7:40 pm

40d was in for bunch of work :

(1) High battery drain - they recharging battery overnight - asked them to check the bulletin for this... which they assured they would do if the bosch battery tester throws up error on test in the morning. Have a feeling that is their speak of kicking can down the road rather than read bulletin (modules causing battery drain).

(2) TPM was activating - they have found a nail in each rear which are less than 1k on them and still over 7mm - they have advised replacement at £377+VAT per corner. They didn't have to hand where in the tyres the nails were and advised against repair as they can't do that on RFTs sir.... needless to say a quick call to local indy tyre co has priced the bridgestones at 300 each or £40 to repair both to manufacturers recommended patch and plug. Thoughts here folks ?

(3) Leaking panoramic sunroof - they said the drains were backed up with leaves - so no leak in roof sir... not sure about this one either !

(4) Oil sensor reporting overfilled - they did oil service late last year - they have now taken out 500ml of oil and wil check it again in morning, when I asked why they missed this at service they said they manually checked with dip stick making no comment on oil overfill, they did offer that if it reported high again they replace the oil sensor.

Had asked them to do security update which they have done as well as check for brake recall - haven't heard on that one yet. Key fob battery replaced as well.

Any advice on these folks ?
Current
Macan GTS
M135, the commuter
991 GT3 - The Toy III

History
E39 520 - family lugger
E53 4.4 Sport
E70-FL 4.0d M-Sport; Lots of toys
996 Turbo - The Toy
991 Cab S - The Toy II
numerous others...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Grrr Dealers... Any thoughts folks ?

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi,

Had the first one on mine too.  They blamed my Road Angel being connected to the forward USB port.  If the car isn't being used regularly on long journeys then I have a CTEK battery conditioner I use to keep it at optimum.

Got a .25" bolt through one front tyre and had it fixed/patched.  2 years later it's still fine.  BMW quoted £411 fitted and Camskills are over £100 cheaper each.  When I went back to the Dealer with the Camskills prices they said that they'd been telling Dealer Management that their tyre supplier was too expensive.  As long as the tyres have not been run very far (20-30 miles) a plug should be fine.  Officially RFT's are not supposed to be fixed, but mine was and it's fine.

Roof - no pano on the X6, sounds like BS to me!  How did leaves get in the drain tubes... :hmmm:

Oil was reported as overfilled on mine after it was serviced.  I told them they put the oil in so they should have put the right amount in - shouldn't they.  Silence and a suitably embarrassed look from around the service team members.  :oops: 

Oil sensor is one that has caused issues on the E53 as well as the E70/71.

Security Update can take between 45 mins and 24 hours depending upon patches needed.  Mine was at the upper end of the scale.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 pm

I've had a small battery drain issue on my e61, down to a broken wire between the roof and tailgate causing the tailgate to keep popping open. Clearly you would be aware of a similar thing happening but its not uncommon for the wiring in this area to cause issues.

Regarding RFT's. I have had several repaired in the past with success. It clearly depends on the area that the nail is in and as X5Sport states, how many miles have been driven. However you may have an issue trying to drive your car away from the dealer in its current condition.

Sunroof, I can't see how a leaves would get to the drain to block it, how did you notice the leak?

Oil overfill, they did the oil service so would think the correct metered oil was put in, this is closely checked and logged on the job card. They either cocked up or the sensor is playing up.

I asume you have CA as the battery was replaced? good idea to alternate the use of the keys to keep the batteries charged

HTH
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

shocks

Post by shocks » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks guys - will see how we get on with service team tomorrow.

For the RFTs will ask where exactly as we may go repair route given how new the tyres are and that we haven't used them much since TPM tripped, BMW assist did say it would be unlikely all 4 showed yellow that we had a puncture - more likely a TPM issue. Not had that debate with service yet as they advised reset when it first came on.

Chompers - what do you think they would object on with the RFTs if we took it for repair ? our risk surely ? thoughts welcome !

Yes we have CA so battery doesn't recharge - contrary to some beliefs the CA batteries don't recharge :)

For the Sunroof - we're only going by what service said as to the cause, it manifested as "white tide marks on left and right" of moveable headlining at the front leading corners and edge where headliner moves back into position indicating water ingress, roof was always closed and sometimes damp to touch. Will have them indicate where the drains they think were blocked and how this causes water tracking into where the evidence of leak is. If anyone has seen similar interested in thoughts as aware this was issue on pre FL F70 - our is the FL-E70.
Current
Macan GTS
M135, the commuter
991 GT3 - The Toy III

History
E39 520 - family lugger
E53 4.4 Sport
E70-FL 4.0d M-Sport; Lots of toys
996 Turbo - The Toy
991 Cab S - The Toy II
numerous others...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Being BMW they'll want money, go by the book, or do anything to cover their backsides etc......so pump the tyres up to correct pressure and take it to your favourite repairer......I think mine was £16 remove/repair/refit/balance & back on the car.

As you say, it's your car.  :)

Richard

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu May 02, 2013 10:54 pm

[quote="shocks"]

Thanks guys - will see how we get on with service team tomorrow.

For the RFTs will ask where exactly as we may go repair route given how new the tyres are and that we haven't used them much since TPM tripped, BMW assist did say it would be unlikely all 4 showed yellow that we had a puncture - more likely a TPM issue. Not had that debate with service yet as they advised reset when it first came on.

Chompers - what do you think they would object on with the RFTs if we took it for repair ? our risk surely ? thoughts welcome !

Yes we have CA so battery doesn't recharge - contrary to some beliefs the CA batteries don't recharge :)

For the Sunroof - we're only going by what service said as to the cause, it manifested as "white tide marks on left and right" of moveable headlining at the front leading corners and edge where headliner moves back into position indicating water ingress, roof was always closed and sometimes damp to touch. Will have them indicate where the drains they think were blocked and how this causes water tracking into where the evidence of leak is. If anyone has seen similar interested in thoughts as aware this was issue on pre FL F70 - our is the FL-E70.
[/quote]

Yes of course your risk and the issue of you driving an un road worthy vehicle. Do you now how many miles you have already travelled? Tyre many look ok on the outside but the inner walls may have already started to deteriorate.
Last edited by Chompers on Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Fri May 03, 2013 5:48 am

Everything as stated by the other two is correct.

Be handy if you knew how long you had run the tyre flat

My high battery drain was my tracker so changed the tracker.

Didn't get my update done before I sold it because I didn't want to loose my remap
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 am

Theyre tyre costs are ridiculous......my local tyre people did my rear tyres for £275inc vat each.    I bought tyre insurance independently at a cost of £299 for 3 years.  Has already paid for itself with the run flats.

Mines in for a service at the end of the month so will see if they overfill the oil too.

On a quick change of subject.....had the oil changed on my 2.2 transit this week........takes 10.1 litres of oil!  glad its not fully synthetic long life.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 am

[quote="squeaky2"]
had the oil changed on my 2.2 transit this week........takes 10.1 litres of oil!  glad its not fully synthetic long life.
[/quote]

Some 'white van men' make their oil last the life of the vehicle.  Seems a lot though - how big is the engine (2.2 litre or is it a 2.2T Trannie?), or does it do the gearbox too?

syg9m

Post by syg9m » Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm

hi I was in the dealers last month getting an MOT on the E53 , service Manager was talking to a tyre repair guy I know , about a tyre he had repaired on a car for sale here is what was said ;
  Hi did you manage to fix that run flat ?
  yeah it needed 2 repairs !
  ow I thought you can only repair them once ?
  no the tyre had already been repaired twice before , so now it has 4 plug repairs .
Looks like they have different rules for their cars for sale than the customers !
  Ask them a question , if you get a puncture in one of the sales cars is it fixed or replaced ?
I also didnt know that they can sell you a car with tyres with 3mm on 75% of the tyre !

Nat

Post by Nat » Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Grrrrrrrrrrrr  indeed.

Overfill the oil is something my local,  useless main dealer used to do. I had several big rows with them ...................hello how fkg difficult is it ? Car takes 7.2 litres of oil or 7.6 with oil filter change. Take oil, pour into measuring container then pour it into the car. Check dip stick ( not yourself in the mirror ) and adjust if necessary. Its the easiest job on a car. If they can't get that right then go somwhere else as they are clearly incompetent and not fit to do anything more challenging.
Name and shame......................!!!

I wont apologize as I feel they deserve NO mercy.

Regards,

Nat.