Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CHANGING 3.0d breather assembly

How-To articles ONLY go here.
bazzyboy

CHANGING 3.0d breather assembly

Post by bazzyboy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 pm

SERVICING THIS PART WILL EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR TURBO ;)
the breathers job is to stop excessive build up of crankcase pressure in the oil system
which can blow seal & gaskets & PUT STRAIN ON YOUR TURBO
have you ever seen a engine smoke when you unscrew the oil cap this is crankcase pressure
TO STOP THIS
change ur breather every 20k if short journeys & every 30k if long trips mainly its only £19+vat if u have the modded breather which came out in 2005 if u dont u
can change to the new design for £40+vat

part no--modded Breather assembly----- 11127799225 --£40+vat

partno--filter assembly for breatherif have modded style housing------ 11127799366---£19+vat

OLD STYLE HOUSING ON RIGHT

THIS IS THE OLD STYLE FOAM TYPE BREATHER POOR DESIGN CLOGS EASY

if you can change the air filter you can do this your self it sits next to it
also recommend using Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W40 Oil and changing every 12k or every mot for extended turbo life
i have a couple of x5,s i service with 130k+ still going strong on original turbos & one is mapped :thumbsup:
Black 3.0d sport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: CHANGING 3.0d breather assembly

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Do you know when exactly in 2005?

Will have a look to see where it is. I assume a dealer never changes the filter then?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Looks like something else to do alongside a new air filter.

Out of curiosity, exactly where is this gizmo? Just so I know where to look. The X5 is SWMBO's and I am mechanically trained so it's not a difficult thing to do.

Are there any specific torque settings on the bolts, or is it hand tight and 'give it a pinch' with a short socket wrench?

I've been trying to find torque settings and a manual for the Diesel X's but there just isn't one. I know there's a US published Bentley Manual, but I suspect that even apart from the engines, there may be significant differences. I'm sure I could do a lot more maintenance than I have been by having access to the right info. I always used to do all mybown servicing, but always had a manual available.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:54 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Looks like something else to do alongside a new air filter.

Out of curiosity, exactly where is this gizmo? Just so I know where to look. The X5 is SWMBO's and I am mechanically trained so it's not a difficult thing to do.

Are there any specific torque settings on the bolts, or is it hand tight and 'give it a pinch' with a short socket wrench?

I've been trying to find torque settings and a manual for the Diesel X's but there just isn't one. I know there's a US published Bentley Manual, but I suspect that even apart from the engines, there may be significant differences. I'm sure I could do a lot more maintenance than I have been by having access to the right info. I always used to do all mybown servicing, but always had a manual available.[/quote]

Here you go fella.... part no.11 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=15&hl=12

another job to add to the list of things to do :driving:
PS thanks for the info Bazzyboy :thumbsup:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Took some pics when i did mine a while back,this is were the breather filter lives

Like bazzyboy mentioned earlier the filter and housing on the left is the old design

@ pvr the build date on my x5 is march 2005 and it did not have the modified breather filter fitted to it,
so not sure when in 2005 the modified filters were fitted. It is not a serviceable part so a dealer will not change it
unless asked to do so. Pics above and link from x555 will give you an idea as to the location of the breather filter, you will
not be able to see it unless you remove the engine cover and anyone who has tackled this will tell you its a real PITA.

Also would like to add the time and effort involved in getting access to the breather filter it would a real shame if the air filter
was not changed at the same time as pic below of my air filter shows. BMW e53 x5 genuine air filters are manufactured by MANN filters if
anyone wants to save a few pounds on dealer prices.

Last edited by X MAN on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm not a diesel owner, however, sincere thanks to good folk for posting info to date for other members - much appreciated :)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

x5dom

Post by x5dom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Indeed. bazzyboy and x man many thanks :thumbsup:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2005/55 E53 3.0d Sport - Sterling Grey/Dakota Black - Sports Plus Pack - 168 20s - Comms Pack - and many toys!  :)

Toy: '95 VW Corrado VR6

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 pm

[quote=""AW8""]I'm not a diesel owner, however, sincere thanks to good folk for posting info to date for other members - much appreciated :)[/quote]

Don't mention it fellas :D ...every little helps ;)

x5dom

Post by x5dom » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:16 pm

[quote=""bazzyboy""]

partno--filter assembly for breatherif have modded style housing------ 11127799366---£19+vat[/quote]

Just to add/clarify, the £40+VAT part is the whole package - breather housing, four in-situ hex bolts, two rubber gaskets and the inner filter. If you already have the new style housing you only need order the £19+VAT part which is an inner filter and new (2) gaskets.
Last edited by x5dom on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2005/55 E53 3.0d Sport - Sterling Grey/Dakota Black - Sports Plus Pack - 168 20s - Comms Pack - and many toys!  :)

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:22 pm

[quote=""x5dom""][quote=""bazzyboy""]

partno--filter assembly for breatherif have modded style housing------ 11127799366---£19+vat[/quote]

Just to add/clarify, the £40+VAT part is the whole package - breather housing, four in-situ hex bolts, two rubber gaskets and the inner filter. If you already have the new style hosing you only order the £19+VAT part which is an inner filter and new (2) gaskets.[/quote]

This was made clear by bazzyboy and x man in the earlier posts :thumbsup:

edit... congrats on you birthday btw just spotted it down below ;)

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Quick question...

For those that have done this (i'm intending to do the air filter and the breather at the same time) as you suggest but if ordering the part before doing the job can I get the modified breather if I find I have the old design in there once I open it up. Or do I have to stick with the old design?

This would also be a good time to check for swirl flaps, me thinks but is there any thing else I should change whilst I'm at it?
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:16 pm

When i ordered mine the parts guy said he didn`t think my car had the modified breather filter fitted hence sold me the housing
and the filter element that fits into the housing . I`m guessing if BMW done a modification to this particular part the old design
will no longer be available .

As far as swirl flaps go i was not prepared with any relevent gaskets and modified parts that may or may not
have been needed to tackle this job so cannot comment or advise.

There`s not much more in way of consumables that need replacing under the engine cover.

Note: anyone who wants to do this iirc the oil cap needs to be removed to lift the engine cover out of the way please refit the oil cap
immediately after you have done this as you do not want to drop anything by accident down there.
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:51 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]Quick question...
is there any thing else I should change whilst I'm at it?[/quote]

yeah mate change your clothes as it gets a liitle oily/dirty in places :lol: espacially if your filter is in the same state as mine :roll:

also top tip by xman there remember to put the oil cap straight back on :thumbsup:

x5dom

Post by x5dom » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Sanj, hence my post. I've not looked yet but my chassis no. says new housing. No doubt you'll want to go new design regardless of what housing you already have. When I ordered mine the parts guy at BMW Park Lane (Battersea) failed to mention/realise that the new housing comes as a complete kit, hence I ordered both. No biggy, I'll keep the spare filter for the next 20k change.

x5dom

Post by x5dom » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:14 am

Job now done :thumbsup: As expected my Oct '05 build date had the newer housing and filter as standard. bazzyboy I can see/understand how the old style sponge filter can get clogged up etc. so should be upgraded no question. I took my used new style filter apart and it seems to be made entirely of abs plastic, just various internal funnels. Looked like you could just give it a clean/rinse and reuse? I am on 37k and mine appeared totally clear. Guess for the sake of £19 + VAT why bother, just fit new, especially after all the effort in getting the housing off.
Last edited by x5dom on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.