Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

KwikFit tyre insurance

General car related chat
5wany

KwikFit tyre insurance

Post by 5wany » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Was at my local KwikFit and got 2 Continental 285/45/19 Run Flats fitted to rear.  Sales guy was offering tyre insurance for 1yr on each tyre for £15e, haggled down to £10e, so £20 for 1yr replacement insurance on 2 new tyres.
Ok so only for 1 yr but I do about 17-18K which takes 2/3rd of tyre tread anyway.

Thought not to bad as:  puncture = new tyre needed (run flats)

I paid up (was in a rush) popped reciept in glovebox and on my way.  So at home I goes to read all the terms & conds on receipt. Nowt there!  Receipt only says: 
TSAVER150    TYRE INSURANCE  £19.98

I've tried thier website, google etc and cant find any info on this product.  To  late to phone now, give them a call in morning. In meantime.. 
Anyone bought this insurance before? Is it a bit of a con...? 

At £20 begining to think its probably got more loopholes thank a pack of hula hoops. :-[
:music:

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: KwikFit tyre insurance

Post by snipez999 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

A bit out of date, but probably running it again:

Conditions: Kwik Fit will inspect and assess the tyre, but will replace the tyre if it is considered a repair cannot be carried out safely. This offer applies to any Michelin tyre bought from Kwik-Fit from May 1st until May 28th 2011. Guarantee lasts for 12 months. A free replacement tyre will be offered if the original tyre is less than 3 months old; 75% off the price of a new tyre if the original tyre is 3-6 months old; 50% off if it's 6-9 months old; and 25% off if it's 9-12 months old.

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport

5wany

Post by 5wany » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Dirty baskets, made out it was full cost of replacement across the full year.  Suppose for a score of notes its not end world - just principle of wool pulled over eyes. 

Pay more attention next time  ::)
:music:

snipez999
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by snipez999 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I'd also like them to define what they mean by a repair which cannot be carried out safely.  There are minor repairs using the mushroom bungs, and also major repairs where the tyre is sent away to a 3rd party for re-galvanising or similar under certain circumstances.  So nowadays not many tyres are written off as unrepairable (except runflats!!)
Still a decent price given the similarities with the much more expensive BMW tyre insurance conditions though:
. Dependant upon the tread depth of the damaged tyre(s) at the time of claim we may pay towards the repair or replacement cost of tyre(s) damaged either accidentally or by a malicious act.
• Where the damaged tyre(s) tread depth at the time of claim is 6mm or above we may pay 100% of the replacement cost(s) or up to the cover level selected. Where the tread depth is below 6mm but more than or equal to 2mm, tyres that require replacement will have the lower of an amount equal to 50% of the tyre replacement costs or 50% of the claim limit paid.

Current: Bentley Continental GTC V8S
Previous: Aston Martin DB9; X6 M50d; X6 40d; 535d M Sport; 330d M Sport