Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Extended Warranty hate my X......

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Extended Warranty hate my X......

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Well, our elderly 4.8is must be one of the most despised vehicles still under BMW extended warranty..........the front door mechanism broke so the door did not open from outside and it was in for repair yesterday (under warranty thank heavens as it took ages! ) and my partner, who now drives the car, mentioned to me that the sunroof seemed to not close fully so I phoned them quickly to alert them and apparently the cassette has failed (there had been a previous repair by BMW years ago) and has to be replaced.........Thank heavens, yes, under warranty. 

So would I mind very much keeping their loaner till next week?  Oh ok, I said grudgingly, I will manage somehow......will post some photos later!  Loaner is a 730d MSport with a load of options, in drugdealer black with very beautiful individual black leather seats and dark windows......attracting loads of attention locally and on the road for some reason. It is a biiiig car and very striking I suppose with its fancy wheels and stuff.  Usually end up with some horrible 2 or 3 series, but the last few occasions have had a 7 series.  Nice. 

Thank heavens for that warranty though.........
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Extended Warranty hate my X......

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Yipe!  Those roof cassettes are still about £2k (maybe more) so that will have saved you the price of the warranty alone.  :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:06 pm

hey guys hows things? im looking at getting back in an x5 soon :)

regarding this extended warranty-do they not ever try and worm their way out of it? which dealership do you use?

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Yipe!  Those roof cassettes are still about £2k (maybe more) so that will have saved you the price of the warranty alone.  :)
[/quote]

I know.......plus the parts might need to come in from abroad at further delay and expense. Apparently theE53 mechanism repair kits they made are not readily available any more so whole cassettes have to be replaced -guess its easier for their techs who were probably in junior school when E53s were in their heyday!  The warranty on this particular car has been amazingly good.

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:44 pm

[quote="the shreksta"]

regarding this extended warranty-do they not ever try and worm their way out of it? which dealership do you use?
[/quote]

BMW used cars bought from any BMW dealership all have an AUC warranty which can be extended once the first year is up, which is what I did with the E53 and will do with the E70. I think you can purchase one for a car not in the dealer negwork provided you can prove full BMW history and it is quite expensive that way.

Really does not matter what dealership you use -any BMW dealer in the authorised network will cover warranty repairs. My E70 came from a dealer in NI, for instance, but I live in the Midlands and use Sytner Tamworth.  Have used dealerships in Lincoln and Derby in the past,  E53 came from Hexagon in London while I lived in Norfolk - no issues using any dealer for warranty repairs.

As for whether they wheedle their way our of repairs - generally much, much better than the third party ones like WD but as the car gets older and older, they do tend to get a bit more awkward - I had suspension airbags replaced under warranty and then when rear ones had a leak a few years on, they claimed it was age related.  Sytner in Tamworth now has a lady who only deals with the warranties and spends her day arguing with warranty companies which sometimes helps, I think, plus becuase my Xes have full BMW histories, I have had a few good will repairs as well.    The E70 has had a replacement transfer box, parking sensor replacements, oil sensor replacement, will be having a diff seal replacement shortly -all 100% covered under warranty, including the diagnostics, which other places like WD do not cover.  You pays your money and takes your choice, really.  Cheap warranties for cars are pretty worthless IMO. I will only buy a BMW within the dealer network and keep it warrantied as long as possible. 

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 pm

[quote="CondorX5"]
[quote="the shreksta"]

[/quote]

BMW used cars bought from any BMW dealership all have an AUC warranty which can be extended once the first year is up, which is what I did with the E53 and will do with the E70. I think you can purchase one for a car not in the dealer negwork provided you can prove full BMW history and it is quite expensive that way.

Really does not matter what dealership you use -any BMW dealer in the authorised network will cover warranty repairs. My E70 came from a dealer in NI, for instance, but I live in the Midlands and use Sytner Tamworth.  Have used dealerships in Lincoln and Derby in the past,  E53 came from Hexagon in London while I lived in Norfolk - no issues using any dealer for warranty repairs.

As for whether they wheedle their way our of repairs - generally much, much better than the third party ones like WD but as the car gets older and older, they do tend to get a bit more awkward - I had suspension airbags replaced under warranty and then when rear ones had a leak a few years on, they claimed it was age related.  Sytner in Tamworth now has a lady who only deals with the warranties and spends her day arguing with warranty companies which sometimes helps, I think, plus becuase my Xes have full BMW histories, I have had a few good will repairs as well.    The E70 has had a replacement transfer box, parking sensor replacements, oil sensor replacement, will be having a diff seal replacement shortly -all 100% covered under warranty, including the diagnostics, which other places like WD do not cover.  You pays your money and takes your choice, really.  Cheap warranties for cars are pretty worthless IMO. I will only buy a BMW within the dealer network and keep it warrantied as long as possible.
[/quote]

sounds good then. i live in hinckley so either coventry/tamworth/leicester will be my local dealership. so it doesnt matter where i get the car from...i can take it to any dealer for warranty work? im looking at the x5m on like a 2012 plate.

im gonna try and wangle 2 years free warranty with it,i know its possible as my mrs father did the same with his 535 msport, he actually wangled it down from £36k to £29k with 2 years warranty and a few extra bits :)

i will be taking him with me lol  :))

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 pm

Yes, thats right, any BMW main dealer will honour an AUC warranty.  Expert hagglers always worth a try, although X5M is quite rare and sought after by fans with deep enough pockets........last one I saw sold for about £80k

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:14 pm

[quote="CondorX5"]
Yes, thats right, any BMW main dealer will honour an AUC warranty.  Expert hagglers always worth a try, although X5M is quite rare and sought after by fans with deep enough pockets........last one I saw sold for about £80k

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Wow, you lucky man, I hope you get it and enjoy.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 pm

[quote="the shreksta"]
[quote="CondorX5"]
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:53 am

Agree with Horizon!  Tell us!  I must say, though, this is definitely one model I would NOT chance to purchase out side the main dealer network.  Good luck in the search! 

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 am

Lol no secret guys, just bought my 1st house, jobs going Well, no kids, no debt, I don't drink/smoke/take drugs etc so me and the Mrs both agreed that we will treat ourselves to a nice car each, we both work 60 hour weeks so why not. We have some money put aside and will hopefully get the rest from the bank.

We will still be able to afford to over pay our mortgage and save money each money aswell as pay for 2 cars. She wants a scirroco and I want an x5 but not a diesel version.

That's all really, no point being the richest man in the graveyard so may as Well enjoy it.

Yeah I won't be buying one outside the dealer network that's for sure. Am I right in thinking that the x5m is the only petrol version in later years of the x5?

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 am

No, there is also the lovely petrol guzzling 50i ........... even more difficult to find in really superb non-thrashed nick, though. I just missed one when looking to replace my E53 so went for my E70 instead. 

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:37 am

[quote="CondorX5"]
No, there is also the lovely petrol guzzling 50i ........... even more difficult to find in really superb non-thrashed nick, though. I just missed one when looking to replace my E53 so went for my E70 instead.
[/quote]

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 6126368109
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:51 am

Thats the one.........IMO much nicer than the X5M!