Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Convertible for the summer

General car related chat
sid10

BMW Convertible for the summer

Post by sid10 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Any advise on a BMW Convertible Z4 , Z3 , 3 series , 6 series ?
Just wanting a toy!
  Z4 2.0 or 3.0
  Z3 2.8 or 3.0
  3 series 330 or M3
  any 6 vert owner s 

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW Convertible for the summer

Post by AW8 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:24 pm

Z3 genuinely underrated IMO & I say that with one on the drive & having owned a  Mk1 MR2, a MK1 MX-5 plus an RX-8 (which shares chassis similar to Mk3 MX-5. Z3 has E36 series (back in the day regarded more favourably than E46 by some) underpinnings with E30 rear end (plenty of good things written & said re these too). 2.2i (non sport) owned here, (wifes car), bought some years ago and having also driven a 2.2i Sport,(slightly harder ride over UK bumpy roads) ,àlso drove a 2.8i (single vanos).The early 2.8i easier to drive and more instant in power delivery albeit engine  entertainment comes from torque (same engine as in 728i).  2.2i  IMO a little more involving and benefits from correct gear for a progressive pace. 2.8i does it with more ease but little less driver involvement. 3.0i is obviously the most powerful offering this side of Z3M 3.2 models - not driven one but would like to......Some say the 2.2i is nicely suited to the car. Not going to blow you away but with 0-60 book time of 7.7 secs and headline max of 140 mph arguably enough to be enjoyable on a bwck road blast. Better performance than  than the 4 cylinder cars & a bit down on the 2.8i and the 3.0i....the later seem to be firming on the money for nice examples.

Z3 getting on a bit now....personally I dont think the shape looks dated -especially facelift cars. (Echoes of BMW 501 styling and modern classic IMO). I never tire of admiring the curves and whilst the Z4 raises the game in terms of dynamics, some prefer the less chiseled looks of the Z3. M52 & M54 6 cylinder engines are pretty robust if fluids kept on top of but belts & water pump need keeping an eye on. Oh and watch out for damp floors and rusted mirror bases (relatively expensive &time consuming to sort).

Dont get too obsessed with mileage.... A car seldom driven or that has stood a while between periods of use may hàve its own issues albeit lower mileage cars will tend to command firmer money. Despite this I would buy on condition, provenace and evidence of maintence.....rather than a headline low mileage alone. Very tyre sensitive especially on staggered 17's or silly suspension set ups. Braces can help. Poor tracking can cause alarming situations if driven at pace in damp.

Lots of nasty cars around.....bmw salvage firms often stay well clear and one told me its because many scrappers they see are horrible...sadly with all sorts of cheap bodges. Difference  between a car needing attention & a scrapper narrower than you might think. A roof can be £700 or a lot more, brake overhaul and tyres cost me  £700. These start south of £2k but allow a few hundered or more to sort a sorry example.

Be very careful as there can be wide differences in condition on used Z3's Newest are 12 years old now. Even a seemingly tidy & relatively sorted car may still benefit from some work unless truly pampered....As well as panels & trim, (including sills and boot floor) brakes, tyres, various fluids, sensors,suspension, roof need keeping on top off. Entry money can by problems but so can stronger money. You dont mention Z3M - prices heading north....especially on the rarer S54 engined cars - some being offered for very strong money.

Been out with some Z4's on a run......I generally kept pace with faster examples when making progress on country roads but was aware I had to put in effort to do so. In honesty the Z4 more planted on tarmac and a considerable dynamic step forward to Z3.

I know a bit about Z4 also but not owned one. Others on here have owned one or more  & thus know more than me. 3.0i would be my choice 3.0si better still. Z4M is a fine car for sure......If I was wanting a first shape Z4 on the drive & whole range in my sights then Alpina Roadster S with lux pack would be my choice....not just for rarity but because Alpina's rarely come with a manual box.......always had a soft spot for these.

Latest shape Z4 - I prefer the lines on this to the early Z4...Mixed views on these.....more of a cruiser suposedly. Personally I would not complain if owning one.

Much as I like BMW I would seriously consider the 987 Boxster S. Many who aspire to 911 buy the cayman and Cayman S has been raved upon by Chris Harris. Obvious similarity other than the roof. 987 especially facelift arguably prettiest of Boxster and that includes the new one just launched with the funny number designation (in my personal opinion). I would not ignore S2000 either.

As for E46 - M3 convertible desireable and prices on the up. High prices of CSL has argubaly caused many to consider non CSL coupes which has strengthened the money and so the knock on effect on rag tops (CSL was not available in vert). I would only opt for 330i if looking ogher than M3…..Check front wings for rust or bad repairs to same.

As with many BMWs of a certain age decent indy stamps or even decent owner maintenance with invoices are acceptable so long as everytthing stacks up to verify the integity of work suposedly done.

A lot to be said for buying from a decent trader if you can find one but it is ironic thatbmany traders prefer to source their stock from private sales so they can evaluate how a car has been cared for in last ownership.

All soft tops sell best in summer - for value buy in winter sell in summer.....(opposite to 4x4's).

Apologies if any of the above is already well known - I dont know your knowedge of the above cars or buying used.

HTH

:)
Last edited by AW8 on Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

sid10

Post by sid10 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi thanks for the detailed write up ! I was considering a Boxster but only really fancied the 3.2 s , read a lot on them going wrong so expect to have to sell a kidney if they go wrong .
I have had several Jensen healey convertibles in the past  sold the last one 4 years ago cost 10k to do up but never really had much fun in pushing the thing around !

I want some German engineering and fun 2 others have Z3s on my estate but unless it is the Bond colour silver blue would have to go Z4 . I have a X5 30d & X1 20d (wifes ) so understand the need for a full  comprehensive history , it is worth the extra to have peace of mind . I did look at a mx5 but again herd a lot of horror stories about rust Mk1 & Mk2 s  the mk3 look ok but miss the point of small & pointy .
  Are there any colours to stay away from ? I like the all Black but have mostly seen Grey , Silver which don't seem to show the lines of the car off , Red or Blue are again lovely but fairly rare .
    As it is a 3rd car can I go down the lines of classic car insurance as for the Jensen it was £116 a year fully comp , yes I nearly had to sit down !
    Thanks again
        sid10

Grumpy2

Post by Grumpy2 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Hi Syd

I'm a bit of a car nut and am currently on my second Z4, this time a 28i 2015 model in mineral grey with tan interior. Its significantly better than my first (2.0i) in every respect other than colour. My first one was deep sea blue with cream leather and the combination was magnificent. The ride takes some getting used to as its harsh at best especially with big rims - mine are 19s. I've owned a 2.7 boxster and hated the way every other road user just wants to race you. the MX5 I had was the 1.8 sport and even though it had 146 BHP it just never seemed to get going.

now contrast all of that with my 1972 TR6 which has the worst of everything. Its slower than them all, noisy, not totally reliable (but its pretty good), heavy, thirsty, smelly and has interesting handling. It's the keeper of the lot.

Hope that's some help!

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun May 08, 2016 10:32 pm

[quote="sid10"]
Just wanting a toy!
  Z4 2.0 or 3.0
  Z3 2.8 or 3.0
  3 series 330 or M3
  any 6 vert owner s
[/quote]

I've got an E93 330i . Very impressed by it really, silky smooth straight six engine 172 BHP
Impressive 3 section metal roof, so you have all the benefits of a covertable and a coupe for winter.
The only downside is the rear seats are uncomfortable as they have had to alter the rear seat back more upright to accommodate the roof.
When the roofs down there is only 100 or so litres of boot space.
But who cares I never sit in the back, and it's a toy for sunny days like today
Last edited by Horizon on Sun May 08, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:48 pm

[quote="sid10"]

Are there any colours to stay away from ? I like the all Black but have mostly seen Grey , Silver which don't seem to show the lines of the car off , Red or Blue are again lovely but fairly rare .

[/quote]

On Z3.....

Buy what you like but dont pay strong money for undesireable combo's.

Atlanta blue 1.9 with tan leather ànd black dash front required for bond look if you really must.

I would avoid red and green but that is just me.

Note I have edited my postmaking brief suggestion of S2000

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:27 am

Just to add....I have info about Z3 because one here on drive. No doubt a more modern vert will be less likely to need so much to keep on top of things.

Oh and not wishing to claim to be an E90/93 expert but the 330i bhp figure quoted is wrong & selling the car short.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 09, 2016 5:54 pm

3-series (E46) 330d is what we have.  A bit more space than the 'Z' cars and being 6'+ those are all too small for me.  Goes like the wind and being the last of the rag top type it has a useable boot too.  Goes like the wind.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi

I had the BMW 135i m sport convertible with paddle shift which was pretty quick and had four seats. generally it was fairly nibble but any convertible will not be as good as a coupe version.reliability was good but finish not was not as good as on the X5. I chose as it was quicker than some of the Porsche I was looking at and less on insurance which last year was £265 fully comp.

It was ok on fuel on a run 35 mpg -and around town late twenties but it was 3.0 six cylinder. It was a well spec'd car and had most of the toys, only problem with the n54 engine was the fuel pump and 335i also have this problem. It cost about £500 to replace via BMW that way the car had a warranty in their pa and work.

I would say it depend on your budget was what your going to get, and you mentioned E46 be careful if looking M3's as some seem to have probs with cracking on the rear subframes, and the repair is not cheap as BMW were doing them under goodwill up to a certain age.

Good luck and its better to get what you like even if it means waiting for the right car to come along, it took me about 8 months to find this 135i and sad to sell it but circ had changed a bit over the two years I owned it.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Here's a pic of the 135i.

The only change cosmetically was I had the wheels refurbished in ferric grey best colour ever for not showing brake dust  :)

Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Imy

Post by Imy » Tue May 10, 2016 7:22 am

[quote="Horizon"]
[quote="sid10"]
Just wanting a toy!
  Z4 2.0 or 3.0
  Z3 2.8 or 3.0
  3 series 330 or M3
  any 6 vert owner s
[/quote]

I've got an E93 330i . Very impressed by it really, silky smooth straight six engine 172 BHP
Impressive 3 section metal roof, so you have all the benefits of a covertable and a coupe for winter.
The only downside is the rear seats are uncomfortable as they have had to alter the rear seat back more upright to accommodate the roof.
When the roofs down there is only 100 or so litres of boot space.
But who cares I never sit in the back, and it's a toy for sunny days like today

sid10

Post by sid10 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:42 am

Hi graemeX5 what is it like for leg room as I am 6 ' ? . never even thought about one of these , I know the 135i is a fantastic car !

sid10

Post by sid10 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Horizon looks fantastic !!

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:10 pm

[quote="sid10"]
Hi graemeX5 what is it like for leg room as I am 6 ' ? . never even thought about one of these , I know the 135i is a fantastic car !
[/quote]

Hi I am about 6ft and it was OK for me in the front but behind me it was a bit short on legroom,
But when purity my wife and her mum she just sat behind my wife's seat. I made sure when I got one it had about 8k of options I just had cruise control retro fitted and it was great fun and a nice sound.

It was pretty rapid being a twin turbo wasn't modified and is currently up for sale at brother in laws garage if you want
Link below

http://www.grangevehiclesolutions.co.uk ... re-5769931

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:16 pm