Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Time to change? What would you do?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Time to change? What would you do?

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:40 pm

My 4.8 is currently with the main dealer who has done all the service and repair work for several years - it has a full BMW main dealer service history and was due a service soon as well, but booked it in as there were a few noises from underneath that bothered me in the past few days and there were niggles which are not particularly important but which needed looking at as well.
So am currently in a loaner, a 3 series touring, while they investigate.  Not yet heard what the probable costs are yet, but I think it will be expensive.
It doesn't look good at the moment and I am wondering what I should do - fix or change I buess is the simple answer - any thoughts?    Still under extended warranty but that will not cover all of this........
The list so far:

1. Front down pipe has come away from the manifold -corroded bolts - needs replacing- warranty unlikely to cover
2. One of the front parking sensors has failed- warranty should cover this
3. Rear brake lines corroded and need replacing (did the fronts last year) -warranty unlikely to cover
4. Apparently there is an unspecified engine oil leak somewhere -not seen any oil on the drive, but its quite possible.  Dealer wants to steam clean engine and then drive it and identify the leak - £90 charge - then if its a leak from a seal which has perished somewhere, it won't be covered under warranty I expect as its age /wear related.
5. Satnav unit apparently faulty (again) - this is apparently the cause of the endless screen reboots and funny blue menus - this was replaced via warranty about 18 months ago at silly prices. Not sure if warranty will replace again.
6. The screen has missing pixels - probably covered under warranty.
7. Drivers window regulator /mechanism very slow, noisy and clunky, anout to fail I think - probably replace under warranty, I would hope.
8 Angel eye needs replacing, warranty do not cover bulbs or glass
Add to the above the cost of an Inspection 1 service . Brake fluid 2 yearly replacement was due but if brake lines need doing that will be included I would think.

:blink:  Not sure if I should start looking for a replacement..........what would you do? 
Last edited by CondorX5 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Time to change? What would you do?

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Difficult given how much you love this car and have done to keep it going.  Wear and tear will become more prevalent an excuse for the warranty to use as a get out clause, and the spares may well not be made any longer so time is against you.

As with everything there comes a time where head has to lead over heart, and it sounds as if that time may be approaching  :(

If you want to stay in an X5, and a V8 then there are choices available in the E70, or if new, F15 models.

I feel for you as my X6 was actually made on my 50th birthday, so it's silly I know but there's an emotional attachment.  I am keeping the BMW Warranty going on it too for as long as I can, but the runabout is now a 2016 Skoda Superb L&K.  It is a nice car, but it's not a BMW - though massively cheaper to buy and run.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sid10

Post by sid10 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi the problems don't seem that bad !
  Did my rear brake lines last year at the dealers £330 for both sides
  Satnavs were never that great in the early X5 ,Tom Tom  or cheap satnav £100
  get what you can under warranty and barter with them for what ever needs done ! they gave me a 2k bill plus vat  last year for items to get through MOT , I told them to put my car back together as I wasn't prepared to pay for it & would take some where else . They came back with £1400 plus vat , said no , £1000 plus vat no ended up at a £1000 all in . They are there to make money but they also want the repeat business . I would see what they come back with but unfortunately unless you buy new you could end up spending a lot of money and end up with someone else s trouble .
  I nearly bought a new one last year but after seeing my mate loose £18000 in 10 months on a new BMW X5 I think I can live with a £1000 a year on maintenance !
    Good luck at the end of the day it is up to you , you could spend the money and the engine go the next day although they part out at 4k or spend 20k and buy a money pit .

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Change - after a while it's good to experience something different - u see, cars CAN be changed with ease unlike some other things in life [emoji39]

Said that, what you've listed seem like minor niggles.. Sounds like your car is in good shape [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Insight G40

Post by Insight G40 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 pm

What's the age/mileage?
How long have you had it?

I'm guessing that a Le Mans 4.8is is likely to be the most desirable of the V8's so as X5Sport said, how much do you love this particular car?

Pretty much everything on the list looks like the kind of issue that arises on cars over 6-8 years old, that usually go one of two ways, you fix all the niggles and have another 20k of trouble free motoring, or it's simply the start of a bank balance dilapidating sequence of issue after issue.
E53 Sept 2006 3.0D Sport

themoog

Post by themoog » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:50 pm

I would keep it and fix things as you go. Your exhaust problem- I just fixed mine 2 days ago with the same problem. When I looked at the bolts I thought oh poo but it was just the nuts that had rusted away. Easy fix.
Oil leak. Wash the engine yourself and have a look, then decide on fix.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies - I guess the problems are certanly not unexpected in a car of this age and mileage, and individually, are not such an issue. Its when they are totted up that it all sounds so expensive - but I guess safety and MOT wise, the only real issues here are the brake lines and the exhaust.    I personally am not bothered about the satnav, I use a Garmin anyhow for the traffic function, but the random reboots are annoying so it would be nice to get rid of that if the warranty coughs up. The drivers window I think will be covered by warranty. The front airbag needs replacing and I think at this age and mileage warranty will duck out of it - they replaced one about 18 months ago, but the car is 40,000 miles down the line from that now.    Could go for coilovers now, but as the entire air suspension apart from the bags was replaced a year ago and works ok, it seems a shame just for the sake of one bag.  Add the cost of the service to the repairs and it could easily run into £1000s unless warranty cover a lot of it.

Insight - its a 2005 4.8is Le Mans, with almost every option in the book, including the rare and lovely auxiliary heating option for petrol engines.  An absolute pleasure to drive -bought it 6 years ago , BMW AUC and kept up the warranty, which has more than paid for itself over the years.  I think its reached the warranty extent now, though , as transmission failure or a major engine fault like valve stem oil seals, will likely take it over the retail value of the car, which is the extent they will pay out, so will probably stop the warranty after ths episode and just save it every month into a repair fund. And yes, probably will clean the engine myself and look for the leak. Am not convinced there is one.

Jaynana -always nice to get a shiny newish car - looked at some M50d's today but I ahould really be designating some of that money elsewhere and not on yet another massively depreciating asset! 

X5sport, you are right of course.........head must win over heart at some stage! 

Hopefully I will be able to barter the eventual bill down to reasonable levels and fix most of the important stuff........will keep this updated tomorrow when I know more.

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:59 pm

X6 M ! ? In white. The only way a lady can go from a 4.8
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:23 am

Pas hose may be a leak  culprit.....they are a weak point even when replaced, but the leakage usually minor -  I would hope dealer can tell difference between Pas fluid and oil.

As for the nav. i would try another disc or a firmware upgrade. If no joy meet up with another member and try swapping the Mk4 - once issue eliminated youade good to go....an old mk4 can be sold spares or repair and a used workinf  one can be sourced used too.

By all means go stamp collecting at main dealers but bear in mind they dont give a stamp for every inspextion recomeded repair. If I was buying yours usedit wouldnt bother me if dealer or a trusted indy fixed the downpioe issue or replaced the brake pipers,window regulator etc. You can always get second opinions &/or quotes from independents on anything warranty will absolutely not cover.

The difficulties accurately diagnosing twin axle adjustable suspension concerns some as swapping out seems the way some approach issues.....I accept that diagnostic info on supension faiures can be limited and not specific enough.That said yours has been siginifcantly swapped out for new parts.

Valve stem seals are obvious concern on the valvetronic cars & cost of gearbox issues is often never far away for many i nghe know.

Fuel prices are better than they have been but I accept newer stuff out there is urgent enough and more economical.

Any car replacement will depend on your attachment to the car, any wish list rerequirements in terms of vehicle type, performance, running costs, depreciation, mpg & of course budget.

Beware the scenario of liking a loaner when yours needs TLC.....Allegedly some car dealers could potentially cause customers to have desireable loaners at the same significant repair quotesare provided ;)

The use of other vehicles is a factor.....thought had a Ford Kuga or something also.

If replacing I am sure you might consider Japanese again.....like you & others I have had positive relaibility experiences with decent Japanese cars.

Ironically if you p/x it and it falls into trade hands outside of main dealership I would expect it to potentially sold on inxepenxently with little of the needed work sorted properly. Oil leaks can be washed away, creaks explained as relative to age, brake lines overlooked etc etc. Annoying as the relatively large margins between trade and retail on these cars allow for retail preparation beyond resetting service lamps and some tyre dressing.
Last edited by AW8 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Not heard from the dealers yet.  But having considered overnight and reading thoughts of others, it is likely the essential repairs will not be too outlandish.  Whatever warranty covers will be good.  Exhaust and brake lines will be necessary but will try to haggle on price, particularly as Insp 1 is due as well. 
Satnav not important just a nuisance that the screen reboots frequently as others have found - has been replaced by warranty before, if not replaced again will try troubleshooting myself.
Window regulator needs doing - hopefully warranty will cover. Anyway, will see what dealer comes up with and take it from there.  Will also reconsider warranty - maybe reduce to driveline only if they are going to claim all the rest is wear and tear and age. 

The 3 series touring xdrive they have loaned me doesn't enthuse me to buy one........its nice enough but rather bland.  :) in a way am glad it wasn't a new X!    I did enjoy the X6 they loaned me last year, but kept knocking my head as I climbed in or out  -  :'( decided I couldn't live with that aspect!   

Looking at cost to change to a newer model - the 4.8 has more or less bottomed out in resale value - around £6k retail, less as a part ex,  so its a pricey exercise to get a shiny new toy  :blink:  Not sure I am ready for it yet, but have been taking a look anyway. Tired of the treadmill of endless car payments and was happy with what I have for a change, hopefully repairs will come in around the £1000 mark .

AW8 - Kuga was a company car circa 2010/11, long gone  :) thank heavens - left the company end 2011.
Am not really keen on any of the other makes offerings at this stage, albeit had very good experience with Jap 4x4 with my old Nissan Patrol.  Will probably stay with BMW. 

Watch this space - back to update later when I have some info from the dealers!

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Initial update received:

1. Warranty will cover costs of replacement monitor and satnav unit.
2. Warranty will cover costs of replacement parking sensor.
3 warranty refused to cover window regulator - claim it is wear and tear - quote from dealer £595  :'(  Dealer is however seeking goodwill contribution from BMW UK so watch this space.......
4. Warranty refused to cover airbag - not unexpected - but quote is £770  :'( :'( again, dealer has asked BMW UK for goodwill contribution.
5. Exhaust quote is £173.40 -sounds ok - not a warranty item. Includes some discount for older cars.
6. Brakelines however  :'( :'( they have quoted a crazy £956.73.........so I said no, they would need to reduce that substantially if they want to complete that part of the work. So lets see......
7. Insp 1 service quote £269 (discount included).
8. £90 to find the source of oil leak (I said leave it for now, its not extensive, will look at it later)

So.......A work in progress, I have a budget of £1500 in mind ..........lets see if they can get close to that!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi CondorX5,

Stupid X5's!  >:(

Most have covered which way to go on the keep or replace. I just wanted to add that I think the window regulator was covered by a thread on the forum and came down to a cheap inexpensive bit of plastic and getting the door card off is no biggie.

Not saying you shouldn't but does the airbag have to be covered. Does the light come up on the dashboard? If so, again eBay has some. Got one for Jeegnesh's car (yet to be fitted as we're both being super lazy)! Think he paid sub £100 for it and very easy to fit.

Brakelines you know you can get an Indy to do for less if BWM don't want to play ball.

Hope all gets sorted to your satisfaction. We will be at the Meet this year, happy to help where we can....
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Update on the work needed:

The X is still at the dealers, they seem in no great hurry to have their new XDrive 3 series tourer back.......

The screen/display and satnav unit are being replaced under warranty at stupid prices. Will be nice not to have the constant rebooting of the system going on, not that I have much interest in the ancient satnav. 

For those who have the funny blue computer screen and random reboots - apparently the blue screen comes from the video unit and pops up when there is a fault with the satnav. Or so the dealer claims.  Anyway, I don't care as long as I don't have to pay for it as its silly money - in the 1000s - how ridiculous! 

I told them not to bother about the window mechanism and the air strut at those prices, or the brake pipes, just to do the exhaust and I will take it somewhere else where prices are more realistic. 

Sanj - airbag was no hassle when it went in and no lights on dash, but they claim the split appeared when they put it on the ramps with the change in pressure (it is 11 years old I suppose, and one of the fronts was changed under warranty about 40k miles ago. I should have done the other one then, really.  Now they claim it is obviously tilting on that side so its not going to be much fun to drive the 20 miles home, but I am balking at £650 0r whatever it was they quoted.  They claim the part is over £600 from BMW.. Whatever, I think the £138 aftermarket part will do just fine thanks.    Its only a half hour labour cost, so must be easy to do and will hopefully find someone to do it.  Wish you lived up this way! [emoji12]

As for the brake pipe quote.......well, its crazy.  So no. 

Apparently the exhaust and screen /satnav will be done for Tuesday or Wednesday, given the bank hols. 

Need to find a local indy now.........its not great up this way, so many workshy people who really don't deliver great service.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Going Indy for anything out I warranty best way forward unless a goodwill quote is cheaper.

For list of BMW garage reviews click here

Get more than one Indy quote too if you can. I would not expect more than 2 hrs. The BMW labour quotes on estimates show the labour duration in units. Each unit is 10 mins. A decent Indy will not qupte over the book time given by a dealer. At least this way you can calculate labour savings.
Last edited by AW8 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:29 pm

Dealer claims the brake pipe replacement on the rear is a 7 hour job...........but £1350 discounted to around £950 is just far too much.........at any level.  They don't employ rocket scientists, most of the workshop staff are not even proper mechanics!  £500 ish sounds more like it - will try to find a non-dodgy local indy workshop next week, they are all too busy partying away for the next week! 

I think I might stop the warranty after this, or at least look into dropping it to just Driveline, as they are now weaseling out of most things on the old "wear and tear" nonsense.  Really, window regulators and brake pipes should last the useful life of the car, for instance.

At least the warranty bunch will have forked out silly money for the screen and satnav replacement - they have replaced the satnav unit twice now!!!    I would have either sourced a used one or tried the repair services, paying ridiculous prices for ancient technology wouldn't make any sense.  I think the warranty company are probably heartily sick of my X5, they have replaced the entire SLS, the BT unit, 2 Mk4 Satnav units, gearbox seals, parking sensors, rear light cluster, pano roof, front screen /display, alternator and a few other things I can't remember offhand!    Definitely worth having!    But probably coming to the end of its usefulness for me as they are starting to weasel out of things now.