Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reversing in the winter

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Woodenman

Reversing in the winter

Post by Woodenman » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Winter has come and Mid Wales is dark!

Can anyone tell me if i can expect the rear camera to be useless at night? I cant decide if the reversing bulbs consist of fireflies? or my rear camera is broken.

In the day fine happy green lines and a clear view but at night I can hardly see anything, its the same with the all round cameras great in the day bad at night.

Is there some sort of upgrade or secret night vision button? Yes i have sensors and eyes but with my white msport came factory fitted with silly dark glass and turning round in the pissing rain is a real sod knowing that 7 feet behind you drops off into the river.
E70 40d Msport

JimmySpeed

Re: Reversing in the winter

Post by JimmySpeed » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:04 pm

what you are describing sounds normal - the reverse lights make a part of the camera picture basically useless. odd design flaw but not a fault with your system.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Depends upon the year.  The one in my X6 is very good in the dark - and I regularly go to Cardigan area so ?I know how dark it can get.... :)

I think around 2010 BMW started fitted one with better night vision.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Woodenman

Post by Woodenman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:48 pm

mine is a 10 plate its almost like the number plate is blinding it tonight!
E70 40d Msport

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:40 pm

It also makes a difference the weather conditions and the amount of the elements it is exposed to.

My mums car is a 2011 Kia Soul Hunter we purchased in Jan 2014 with 3.5k miles on the clock. The camera was impossible to see on the rear view mirror and so we had it replaced under warranty. The issue was blurriness due to water ingress from the seal and poor quality cameras fitted early on. The new one has been fine since but we do live in West London with less rain than you may have  :P

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:36 pm

If there is any ambient light, mine is fine. If it is filthy, I can't see a thing at night - ambient light or not.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.