Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Snow Chains

General car related chat
squeaky2

Snow Chains

Post by squeaky2 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:49 am

Off to the Alps for new year and am looking at snow chains.  Has anyone any experience of these
http://www.snowchains.co.uk/product/?br ... 255&p=CU9X

Any other recommendations?

gobiman

Re: Snow Chains

Post by gobiman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Yup - a set of winter tyres
There are some serious disadvantages for chains -
1. On performance, they only really work on packed snow and at low speeds (30 mph) so are quite inflexible. They are also a bugger to take on and off - I've done it in the dark, on a slope and in a snowstorm and it's no fun. The main problem is that the roads are usually pretty well cleared and what you get is a constantly changing combination of slush, snow and tarmac - you simply can't keep stopping to take them off/put them on. The ride on tarmac is boneshaking.
2. On a 4x4, you really need them for all 4 wheels to be effective - so double the cost.
3. You also want to drive (fast!) to get there and winter tyres offer huge advantages in added safety.
I realise this is a personal view but I would invest in a set of second hand rims and new winter tyres which will cost not much more than two sets of those chains and will offer a massive increase in safety.
I drive out to the Alps 2/3 times a year in winter and have a set of chains in the boot (bought for extreme conditions) - I've never opened the bag and will sell them separately when I sell the car. Winter tyres will get you out of almost everything you are likely to encounter. Most local laws demand EITHER chains or winter tyres.
Plenty of informed chat on here on the topic.
4.8iS 2004 Le Mans Blue
Z1 1989 Top Red
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Ive got the set of winters to put on when the weather changes.  Ive had chains previously and absolutely hated the times i had to put them on.  These ones look really simple but i cant decide whether just to get a cheap set just incase or have something easy to put on.

I should probably find out more about where we are going and try and judge what the road conditions will be like.

gobiman

Post by gobiman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm

I went for a set of the Michelin Composite ones - quite widely stocked and pretty cheap - well under £100. Have them at Halfords/Tesco and I got mine at Costco for around £65.
No view on performance as still in the bag but should be easy to sell when the car goes!
Personally I wouldn't spend too much money on chains as chances of needing them are slim with a good set of winter tyres.
Good luck
4.8iS 2004 Le Mans Blue
Z1 1989 Top Red

ChrisLux

Post by ChrisLux » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:45 pm

There are some resorts in the Alps, especially France, where it is COMPULSORY to have snow chains fitted if
there is snow on the road, otherwise the Police will not let you pass.

Those Thule one's are very good, but that's a hell of an expense, I'm sure you shud be able to get a set for max £100 surely ??
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19/27) , Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring , Individual Velvet Blau - sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d , Sapphire Schwartz

'07 R56 Mini Cooper S , Astro Schwartz

Freude am Fahren - Sheer Driving Pleasure

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:24 am

Same dilemma here. Going towards the Austrian Alps, Obertauern.

Will be fitting snow rims and rubber.

Do I need chains too? The range varies along with ease of fitment mostly. Was looking at these

I thought of only one pair for the rear. Fronts too??
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

gobiman

Post by gobiman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:33 pm

I think I'm on my eleventh trip to Austria this year. My thoughts -
1. With a good set of winter tyres on a 4WD, the chances of you actually needing to use your chains is minimal. The performance of winter tyres in all conditions has to be experienced to be believed.
2. The Germans and Austrians are pretty sensible and the requirement is for appropriate kit - which can be winter tyres or chains (in some conditions).
3. As pointed out the French police can be different and "require" chains - although on the two times I've seen them check it was for summer-tyred cars.
4. I keep a set in the boot (with shovel,old gloves torch etc) for either the unlikely event of needing them (perhaps getting out of an uncleared car park) or having to "show" them for the police. Still in the bag.
5. I think the advice is for rear axle fitment although using them for anything other than a short period will I suspect cause problems with the four wheel drive due to dramatically different traction. Driving on chains is, in any event, a deeply unpleasant and slow experience.
6. Some of the local hard-core 4wd kit (the Unimogs and the like) typically use chains all-round - I suspect for this reason.
My advice would be that the prudent course is to have a set of chains as well as winter tyres (which are by far the most important factor) but don't spend much. I bought the Michelins as they were cheap and branded - and I can sell them as unused when the car goes.
Good luck.
4.8iS 2004 Le Mans Blue
Z1 1989 Top Red