Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is this ok

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
RoShamBo

Re: Is this ok

Post by RoShamBo » Fri May 30, 2014 11:25 am

Lol chap asks for opinion on a car it and descends into a slanging match !

Car looks pretty good IMO, interior (seats) do look a bit worn (even the rears - but if there are DVD headrests then likely kids have been in the back a lot)
Noticed it has the flared rear arches - worth checking if there are spacers fitted to push the wheels out a bit as this often happens to help the wheel fill the wider arches.
Lack of nav not really an issue IMO - as mentioned aftermarket ones are way better - though the big screen does look nice on the dash !
If you can get it inspected before buying I would, and the usual HPI, service history confirmation, receipts of work done (there should be a fair amount on a car of that mileage - alarm bells ring when there are hardly any receipts)
Check the gearbox properly on a test drive, listen for any odd sounds, pulling under braking etc - usual stuff. Check all the electrics inc PDC etc all work.

And I think appreciate its a car with 96,000 miles on it, so its not going to be perfect and it will likely require money spent on it going forward, eyes wide open and all that.

Ro.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:33 pm

As per my posts it seemingly has nav.....well it has a screen and I have only known of one used E53 with tv but absent of nav -(tv or nav could be optioned separately or comms pack could be optioned)

If a car has done 96k and well maintained I would hope that the front outer cv boots, wishbone thrust bushes and subframe bushes will have already been attended too.

Being a facelift V8 I would be checking for coolant loss valley pan gasket issues.

The biggest issue with that car is whether someone would pay £500 a year to tax it or whether I could sell it on later when worth even less but with same annual tax bill.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Fri May 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Is this OK ???

Sadly this is what drives people away from Forums the original post forgotten and largely unanswered. It's noticable the original poster has backed away !! I hope he finds the right car.

Well said RoShamBo
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

RoShamBo

Post by RoShamBo » Fri May 30, 2014 2:10 pm

[quote="AW8"]

If a car has done 96k and well maintained I would hope that the front outer cv boots, wishbone thrust bushes and subframe bushes will have already been attended too.
Being a facelift V8 I would be checking for coolant loss valley pan gasket issues.

[/quote]

Great point - outer CV boots, subframe bushes wishbone thrust bushes all needed doing on mine (2003 4.4i) soon after I bought it. Car had done 85k miles. I know this now, but its a piece of knowledge I wish I had when looking for a car.....

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Fri May 30, 2014 3:51 pm

[quote="AW8"]
The biggest issue with that car is whether someone would pay £500 a year to tax it or whether I could sell it on later when worth even less but with same annual tax bill.
[/quote]

It would seem this particular X5`s date of first registration is 01/03/2006. Info from

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

6 months rate £156.75
12 months rate £285.00

MOT expires 07/03/15
  Tax  expires 01/09/14
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:12 pm

The car is by looks of it, a good car, thats all i have been saying the whole time!! all it needs is that leather stripped and reconditioned and left matt in finish!! its been siliconed to buggery by looks of it.  I like it, hence me defending it.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:12 pm

[quote="kjb1"]
"Oh Richard, I really agree with you, he is so abrasive" Lol!! brilliant.  Cant even be bothered to respond to your drivel on Sellers this sellers that , my 4.8is this, my 4.8is that! My opinion this, my opinion that!!

ITS MY OPINION.  Same as yours, Ive stated nothing other than that, nor tried to force my opinions on you ( unlike yourself, telling me to sell my car and buy a new one if I don't like it ). 

You say I cannot compare it to current tech, well truth is, you can compare it.  The market is there, available , and accessible to anyone who wants current tech in their car.  So yes you can compare, because its a case of living with a ZX Spectrum or a PS4.  Quite simple.

Once again, my opinion.....And yours, which I stated earlier may I add.
[/quote]

My my, why on earth is it necessary for you to have to resort to personal attacks?  I don't need your nasty intimidation about anything I post about my car, just because you happen to have a different opinion, this is meant to be a CAR forum, not an ego trip for those with your attitude. I did not tell you to sell your car, BTW, that was a general remark directed at anyone who seemingly despised the old technology of the E53 so much - but if the shoe fits, by all means wear it, just don't put words in my mouth that were never directed at YOU.  So YOUR opinion trumps everyone elses and is definitive, it seems.  Amazing what the anonymity of the internet does for keyboard warriors like you - wonder if the bad manners would be so apparent in person, face to face?    FWIW, manners maketh the man....or clearly, NOT.  I have a right to voice an opinion without being insulted and demeaned by you or anyone else.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

kjb1

Post by kjb1 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:59 pm

Take your own advice and re read your own posts!! waste of my time talking to you!!

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:15 pm

Then don't! Easy! 
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

kjb1

Is this ok

Post by kjb1 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:15 pm

ps I'm not the one editing posts i made earlier condor! clearly you have!!

RoShamBo

Post by RoShamBo » Sat May 31, 2014 2:53 pm

Alloys look in good condition on that car.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:42 pm

[quote="Greydog"]
Is this OK ???

Sadly this is what drives people away from Forums the original post forgotten and largely unanswered. It's noticable the original poster has backed away !! I hope he finds the right car.

Well said RoShamBo
[/quote]

I accept there has been other discussion but the original post was answered comprehensively....Myself and others focussed on the opening topic and queries raised by the OP.

I can always edit or delete the thread if other chat trashes it.

:)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.