Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hedgehog (FSR) Question? Battery Drain still! >:(

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
james8whippy

Hedgehog (FSR) Question? Battery Drain still! >:(

Post by james8whippy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey,

So my car is still dying on me overnight. Thought it was my battery so changed that and it solved it for a while and I thought Yay great. But NO it hasn't. It's annoying because it's random and I can never leave my car for a day to a few days without the worry it's not going to start. Have to have a charger connected all the time.

From what I've read it could well be the FSR. I looked through the invoices and the previous owner had it replaced about 3 years ago by BMW so you would think it shouldn't be that as it's been done already but you never know with BMW's.

OK so my question. How can I find out it is definitely the FSR thats causing the issue? I've tried listening to see if the fan is still spinning like people have said but I can't hear anything....

Is there an easier method of diagnostics without buying one? I was thinking If I took the fuse out for the heater would the FSR still get power to it? That way I'm thinking I can leave it for a few days without the heater fuse in and if it doesn't go flat then I know it's definitely that?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
James
Last edited by james8whippy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

james8whippy

Re: Hedgehog (FSR) Question? Battery Drain still! >:(

Post by james8whippy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 am

For people stumbling across this post in the future I went ahead and changed the FSR last weekend and so far it's been a week and it hasn't gone flat! I am hoping the problem is resolved :)

I took the old unit out and and it didn't look any different to the brand new one in the packet. Annoying really as I was hoping to see it burn out or broken just for satisfaction of spending £80 at the main dealer.

It was last replaced 3 years ago which I mentioned when buying the new one the parts guy said I get a 2 year warranty on the new one.

We all know its a known issue on BMW's so why can't they accept it is!! ..... That's BMW I guess.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm

well done. i havent had a reason to touch that dreaded hedgehog yet but if my battery starts playing up i know where to go..
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
well done. i havent had a reason to touch that dreaded hedgehog yet but if my battery starts playing up i know where to go..
[/quote]

Think the face-lifts don't suffer from the problem so much.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Think you'll find that will have sorted it. Renowned weak point. My mate replaced his on his M3 and it failed again within 4 months so they really are crap. Atleast you have 2 years warranty on it.

james8whippy

Post by james8whippy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:53 am

Cheers Guys.

Knowing my luck it will break 1 day over the two years haha

dark_stranger

Post by dark_stranger » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 pm

What is an FSR? My battery drains within a week (tried new battery) and same as you, can never plan using the car without giving the battery a charge. Mine is an 3.0 petrol 04 facelift model.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-4-0-Sca ... 3ccf9352dc

Read this thread, it relates to the FSR and battery drains
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

StewieG

Post by StewieG » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:37 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
[quote="jaynana"]
[/quote]

Think the face-lifts don't suffer from the problem so much.
[/quote]

Ive a face lift and battery keeps draining. As OP mentioned I cant hear any fan whilst in the car with power off. I do hear the webasto and the DVD nav as the car wakes up again though.
55 E53 3.0d with Pano roof and full coms pack. Black with Black