Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Premium diesel

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
LFP

Premium diesel

Post by LFP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi all

What does everyone think about premium diesel (shell v power etc). Is there any actual evidence of their benefit other than the pump cache?

I've always thought they were a waste of money until I saw an old 5th gear episode on premium petrels where there was actually a difference between premium and standard but it took a larger/more powerful engine to realise it. Just wondered if the same was true for diesel fuels?
'04 3.0D Sport

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Premium diesel

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 pm

[quote="LFP"]
Hi all

What does everyone think about premium diesel (shell v power etc). Is there any actual evidence of their benefit other than the pump cache?

I've always thought they were a waste of money until I saw an old 5th gear episode on premium petrels where there was actually a difference between premium and standard but it took a larger/more powerful engine to realise it. Just wondered if the same was true for diesel fuels?
[/quote]

Something I've never considered, always thought that it was just another way to get more profit.  Would be interesting to see if there is any evidence to prove the extra cost worth while.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I had a PM conversation with a member a few months back as his car (a 40d) was running badly.  He was using premium fuel at the time.  He changed to normal supermarket/standard diesel and the car began running perfectly.  We never got to the bottom of it, but certainly his didn't appear to like premium fuel.  Whether it was down to the ECU/DDE not changing its programme with the fuel type I don't know.

Never tried it in mine as there's no nearby fuel station with either V-Power or BP Ultimate and I could see no reason to use it.  With only 9,200 miles in two years I use very little fuel anyway.

Richard.
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
I had a PM conversation with a member a few months back as his car (a 40d) was running badly.  He was using premium fuel at the time.  He changed to normal supermarket/standard diesel and the car began running perfectly.  We never got to the bottom of it, but certainly his didn't appear to like premium fuel.  Whether it was down to the ECU/DDE not changing its programme with the fuel type I don't know.

Never tried it in mine as there's no nearby fuel station with either V-Power or BP Ultimate and I could see no reason to use it.  With only 9,200 miles in two years I use very little fuel anyway.

Richard.
[/quote]

9200 in two years! Ha!  I'm getting my own slot on the local forecourt!  Just under 4k so far since mid Nov.  joking aside, the wife will be getting a company car at the end of the month so hoping this will drop drastically.

Interesting about the possible issue with premium fuel. 

Don

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:48 pm

we do have a parallel conversation on this subject.

see in there - 5th gear did a road-test sometime back, collective memory seems to be that the only thing that stood out was shell v-power.

personally i don't think its worth it - happy with tesco points ;).. along with teh occational 5p off!
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
we do have a parallel conversation on this subject.

see in there - 5th gear did a road-test sometime back, collective memory seems to be that the only thing that stood out was shell v-power.

personally i don't think its worth it - happy with tesco points ;).. along with teh occational 5p off!
[/quote]
We have a local company called 'GO' they have an automated only 24h forecourt in the local town.  Certainly the cheapest for miles around, currently paying 134.9p per ltr.  Never had any issues with here fuel.  On a side note, had a coupon from Sainburys for 10p off per ltr.  Sounds great except the two nearest stations are a 30 mile round trip and pump price 149.9p  :rant:  why do people fall for these blatant rip offs?

Don

sramsay

Premium diesel

Post by sramsay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm sure I read the diesel v-power just has a detergent / cleaning property which can increase performance and mpg a little?? I regularly pass Shell so tend to fill up with v-power every second or third time. Standard fuel is usually from Sainsburys.

I've been playing with the Road Trip app on my iPhone for the past few months and interestingly the MPG following v-power (shown by the higher price) is higher :)

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 pm

[quote="sramsay"]
I'm sure I read the diesel v-power just has a detergent / cleaning property which can increase performance and mpg a little?? I regularly pass Shell so tend to fill up with v-power every second or third time. Standard fuel is usually from Sainsburys.

I've been playing with the Road Trip app on my iPhone for the past few months and interestingly the MPG following v-power (shown by the higher price) is higher :)
[/quote]

Just downloaded road trip.  I hadn't seen this before but looks like an app that's right up my street.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 pm

[quote="Don Coffey"]
Just downloaded road trip.  I hadn't seen this before but looks like an app that's right up my street.

Don
[/quote]
Go on use it for the Chopper and really scare us!! :o

I've got the App too, but keep forgetting to update it.... :doh:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
[quote="Don Coffey"]

Don
[/quote]
Go on use it for the Chopper and really scare us!! :o

I've got the App too, but keep forgetting to update it.... :doh:
[/quote]

Like the idea, I'll give it a go and report back.  :))

Don

ChrisLux

Post by ChrisLux » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am

I occasionally fill up with Premuim fuel , both in the X5 and my Alpina .
I'm not sure there is too much difference in the X5 , maybe it runs a bit 'cleaner' if I do
a couple of consecutive tanks .

However , in Germany V-Power is 99 octane and I notice it in the Alpina . But it's EUR 1.60
per/litre  :blink: so it should make a difference !!
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19/27) , Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring , Individual Velvet Blau - sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d , Sapphire Schwartz

'07 R56 Mini Cooper S , Astro Schwartz

Freude am Fahren - Sheer Driving Pleasure