Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front PDC Inner Sensor

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Front PDC Inner Sensor

Post by Sanj » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:46 pm

All,

Apologies for a start, already covered but I can't find the threads....

Cold weather looks like its killed my front left inner sensor (when in the drivers seat).

There was a link to an eBay guy for a cheap sensor.

Plus I'm having a memory blank today, was it a straight or elbow on the back for that sensor (next to the number plate) ???
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Front PDC Inner Sensor

Post by Rusty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Thought it was only the back corners that had 90 deg connectors?  May be wrong though - usually am according to SWMBO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

dirtymonkey29
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Front PDC Inner Sensor

Post by dirtymonkey29 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:01 am

6 of the 8 sensors are straight, all the rears and the 2 inner fronts (nearest number plate).  The two outer fronts are the L shape ones.  Realoem confirms this also.

Beware the cheap ones on eBay.  I got one for the rear, didn't work, sent back for replacement and that didn't work either, sent back for a refund and got one from bmw.  Was around £80, worked immediately and came with 12months warranty.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:59 am

[quote="dirtymonkey29"]
6 of the 8 sensors are straight, all the rears and the 2 inner fronts (nearest number plate).  The two outer fronts are the L shape ones.  Realoem confirms this also.
[/quote]

Thanks buddy. Know they were 6 and 2, just couldn't remember which ones at the front.

So straight one to get, will look for that link tonight (think it was in a Jaynana) thread.

Hey Rusty, how you doing'? Been a bit quiet of late.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 am

Found the eBay link - for anyone else wanting to know.

On the off chance anyone on the forum has one like this surplus to requirements and wants a few quid, let me know. I need to check it's well and truely gone first (today is a warmer day, let's see what it does).

max

Post by max » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 pm

[quote="Sanj"]
Found the eBay link - for anyone else wanting to know.
[/quote]

Sanj, do you know if the ones in the link will also work for the front outers, as I think one of mine is playing silent!
Also does anybody have a removal/fit guide for these?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:57 pm

[quote="max"]
Sanj, do you know if the ones in the link will also work for the front outers, as I think one of mine is playing silent!
Also does anybody have a removal/fit guide for these?
[/quote]

Definitely not. The front corner one's are an elbow fitting. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

As for removal (hence my miserable post), you have to get the front bumper off. PITA but possible.

Do you know how to get the front bumper off? If not, try this. Brilliant post.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Some links for you Max. Same seller but the elbow type sensor for the front outer corners ONLY.

Much appreciated dirtymonkey29 for the memory refresh! :ok:

Link 1

Link 2
Last edited by Sanj on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max

Post by max » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Thank you Paji, great links :thumbsup:

Maybe a job to mess about with over the Xmas break it looks like then, unless I can hook the resident midlands x5 expert Paji Raj into helping me  ;D

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok so which one would you replace?

Intravee shows no activity on the front left one (from drivers seat) and a quick check for a click and the front outer right is not clicking!?!  :blink:

Sods law that they're both different! Not sure which one to go for?

Got any ideas?

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Are they interchangeable?

I.e. once you have the bumper off, can you not check the one you think is wrong and if that is not the case, use the other side?

Not sure if I would trust the Intravee reading though as ones one is wrong, the electronics can really get confused.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Yes they can be changed around but the intravee is the only display I get. The car has decided not to send out a tone at all as one is down, so they all go down.

Agree the intravee isn't the most trustworthy diagnostics source.

Anyone near me got a scanner that may be able to tell more reliably? That's all I can think of at the mo...

Otherwise I'm gonna rip them off Jig's car!  :))

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

You know what I think. I've always trusted the listening trick and deffo over the intravee. But as said earlier try and get a scanner hooked up to properly confirm.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:33 pm

[quote="max"]
Thank you Paji, great links :thumbsup:

Maybe a job to mess about with over the Xmas break it looks like then, unless I can hook the resident midlands x5 expert Paji Raj into helping me  ;D
[/quote]

Lol. No problem Max.

dirtymonkey29
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by dirtymonkey29 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Navcoder is pretty good for pdc diagnostics