SKID PLATE ORDER

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SKID PLATE ORDER

Post by X5Sport » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:15 pm

[quote=""Sanj""] Matter of opinion - just don't ask the wife.[/quote]

You need a change of 'Management'. I talked it over with SWMBO and she saw the pics of yours (same colour) and said "I like that. How much?" :)
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:24 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""][quote=""Sanj""] Matter of opinion - just don't ask the wife.[/quote]

You need a change og 'Management'. I talked it over with SWMBO and she saw the pics of yours (same colour) and said "I like that. How much?" :)[/quote]

LOL, it's all about the approach.

kkodal78

Post by kkodal78 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:27 pm

is there a difference between the US spec 4.6is and euro spec 4.6is? according to realoem the skid plate is degisned for 4.6is as well
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part ... showeur=on
the part # is 82110021339
am i missing something here? i know the bumper on 4.6is different than 4.4 or 3.0 models but if realoem is listing the skid plate as an accessory for 4.6is than it should fit right?
2005(55) VW TouranTDI met. black

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 pm

[quote=""kkodal78""]is there a difference between the US spec 4.6is and euro spec 4.6is? according to realoem the skid plate is degisned for 4.6is as well
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part ... showeur=on
the part # is 82110021339
am i missing something here? i know the bumper on 4.6is different than 4.4 or 3.0 models but if realoem is listing the skid plate as an accessory for 4.6is than it should fit right?[/quote]

Strange. Not sure if they ever made a 4.6is without the front trim piece, but having fitted a skid plate myself, I think it will not just bolt on over a 4.6is trim piece. The skid plate sides are shaped to match the contours of the bumper where it sits. Anything else sitting on the bumper which changed those contours even slightly would stop the skid plate sitting right.

Having said that, perhaps the 4.6 trim follows the bumper contours exactly too, meaning the skid plate would fit :?

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 pm

No, looking at this

I can safely say that the skid plat wouldn't go on to this.

Heres a close up of a skid plate fitted, look at how the sides of the skid plat are shaped and the way they fit into the curve of the bumper. The 4.6 trim changes that shape completely.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:59 pm

The reason why the skidpan is listed for the 4.6is as well is because it WILL fit but you need to remove the lower valance first.

That valance on the 4.6is will fit any standard bumper for all the range except the 4.8is. Straight fit.

So another curve ball thrown in for you guys considering the skidpan, you may wish to consider the lower valance off the 'is' instead. Just need to consider cost/availabilty/painting fitting (all higher I'm assuming).
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

kkodal78

Post by kkodal78 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:38 pm

i think i'd rather keep the lower valance than ..:)
2005(55) VW TouranTDI met. black

RichB

Post by RichB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:12 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]The reason why the skidpan is listed for the 4.6is as well is because it WILL fit but you need to remove the lower valance first.

That valance on the 4.6is will fit any standard bumper for all the range except the 4.8is. Straight fit.

So another curve ball thrown in for you guys considering the skidpan, you may wish to consider the lower valance off the 'is' instead. Just need to consider cost/availabilty/painting fitting (all higher I'm assuming).[/quote]

The 4.6 bumper is great - for a pre-facelift car I would prefer it to the skid plate; if anyone is interested; there's one on ebay at the moment @ £375 I think. For me, if my X5 was pre-facelift, I would spend the extra for this over the skid plate.

So; does the skid plate fit post facelist cars, I can't see why not; otherwise what are the alternatives to smarten up the expanse of plastic?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote=""RichB""]So; does the skid plate fit post facelist cars[/quote]

Yes - all but the 4.8is.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:59 pm

[quote=""RichB""][quote=""Sanj""]The reason why the skidpan is listed for the 4.6is as well is because it WILL fit but you need to remove the lower valance first.

So another curve ball thrown in for you guys considering the skidpan, you may wish to consider the lower valance off the 'is' instead. Just need to consider cost/availabilty/painting fitting (all higher I'm assuming).[/quote]

The 4.6 bumper is great - for a pre-facelift car I would prefer it to the skid plate; if anyone is interested; there's one on ebay at the moment @ £375 I think. For me, if my X5 was pre-facelift, I would spend the extra for this over the skid plate.

So; does the skid plate fit post facelist cars, I can't see why not; otherwise what are the alternatives to smarten up the expanse of plastic?[/quote]

You can get a 4.6is front delivered to the UK for less than a skid plate. Not OEM, but from what I have seen of them they are excellent fitment and quality. I am not keen on the 4.6 front in silver though (my colour) for some reason, however in red and blue they look excellent.

wilkoturbo

SKID PLATE ORDER

Post by wilkoturbo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Where can I get a 4.6 front from ?? :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.302677,-1.108983
bmw x5 le mans blue

RichB

Post by RichB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Can you also get facelift 4.8is ones?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Not to fit standard bumpers

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Here:

http://www.cars-styling.co.uk

He does a 4.8 kit too. I emailed him for individual prices, he said the 4.6 front alone is 150 euros, 33 euros shipping. I saw one that someone had fitted to their X5 in person a few months ago, it looked excellent. It was fitted for him by a bodyshop and the workmanship and paint were spot on, the bodyshop told him it didn't require any sanding or shaping - just bolted right on

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:09 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]Not to fit standard bumpers[/quote]

This guy sells an add-on for the facelift STD bumber