Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel Hub Corrosion

General car related chat
IanP

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by IanP » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:46 pm

Continuing on my post about BMW workmanship being abysmal, if you have your car serviced by a main dealer, don't think they do a proper job.
You would think that part of the servicing would be putting stuff back with lubricant or grease as required.
To me part of that would be refitting wheels with a touch of non seize at the contacting points. Apparently not, with the result that the wheels needed persuading with a soft hammer to remove from the location spigot.
I guess all proper mechanics are now retired, the technicians are now in control...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:41 pm

Only the wheel centring ring itself is supposed to have any lubrication. The official instructions are that the mating surfaces should be cleaned to ensure no dirt, grease or debris lies between the surfaces. BMW even have a special tool to ensure this is done - they would wouldn’t they!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:47 pm

IanP wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:46 pmI guess all proper mechanics are now retired, the technicians are now in control...
........And technicians are on productivity bonuses, so they don't spend one minute more than they have to on any given vehicle.
Not so long ago I worked in a (not BMW, admittedly) dealership, and we had one particular tech. who regularly carried-out 4 services in the time he was allocated to do 3. Then the company temporarily re-structured the bonus system and for a few weeks his output inexplicably dropped by 25%.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

IanP

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by IanP » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:15 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:47 pm Only the wheel centring ring itself is supposed to have any lubrication. The official instructions are that the mating surfaces should be cleaned to ensure no dirt, grease or debris lies between the surfaces. BMW even have a special tool to ensure this is done - they would wouldn’t they
I agree, maybe they need a tool and a procedure to do the centring ring correctly. Or technicians who understand how to service a vehicle correctly and why it should be done a certain way. And no bl%%dy coppaslip. Better anti seize greases are available. Rant over

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by Leslie » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:08 pm

Special tool is a wire brush lol :rofl: if you want it done right ya gotta do it yourself :driving: it was £20 to check/ top up your oil last time I was in for the airbag recall .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:14 pm

But it’s a very ‘special’ wire brush. You can’t go using a ‘normal’ wire brush on the ultimate driving machine now can you!

/cynic mode off
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Wheel Hub Corrosion

Post by Leslie » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: special price too :rofl: