Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 X5 metal screeching sound (from suspension/rack) when I turn the steering wheel right.

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
noobmw

E53 X5 metal screeching sound (from suspension/rack) when I turn the steering wheel right.

Post by noobmw » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 am

Hello all, obviously new here and new with an X5 E53.
I would appreciate any help or advice.

Few months with my 04 E53. Generally happy. Noticed the car is making a very -very very- loud metallic screeching sound when I turn the steering wheel -mostly to the right. The sound is coming from the suspension or rack or something. It is very very loud. It also does it when going over speedbumps.

Anyone has any idea what this could be?

many thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 am

Hello and :hi:

Things to check are: power steering fluid level, power steering pump, any sign of leaks around the PAS system generally - the hoses were a known issue in 2004. Worth checking front wheel bearings and drive shafts for excess play or noise (rumbling, grinding).
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:19 pm

Also check all the auxiliary belt tensioners, perhaps remove the belts and see if the noise goes away

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:47 pm

On my old V8, the horrendous noise mine once generated was a seized alternator pulley. Hard turns strained everything to a point the belts were under huge pressure hence the really loud noise.