Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

VHC at dealership

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: VHC at dealership

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:02 pm

The dealer you bought the car from sounds a right arrogant piece of work - sorry you are facing big bills so soon after purchase, the brakes should definitely not have been unserviceable or completely shot, and wipers should not have been a problem either -  although I must say, the dealer is always keen to claim that pads and discs need changing even when they don’t. They caught me that way this year - not to be repeated! The MOT was due and they announced all the pads and discs needed instant replacement on the day at £1000 even though the car had been in only a month earlier and had had their “safety check” during which the brakes were all absolutely fine.  In the end they I had the fronts done only as they claimed the discs had measured 1mm under minimum spec, but the rears were well within spec still. And pads were still fine.  You do wonder, most car dealers are masters of bullsh***

Hope you enjoy the car though, I have loved driving mine - same age and colour.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

AdamsX5

VHC at dealership

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:24 pm

[quote="CondorX5"]
The dealer you bought the car from sounds a right arrogant piece of work - sorry you are facing big bills so soon after purchase, the brakes should definitely not have been unserviceable or completely shot, and wipers should not have been a problem either -  although I must say, the dealer is always keen to claim that pads and discs need changing even when they don’t. They caught me that way this year - not to be repeated! The MOT was due and they announced all the pads and discs needed instant replacement on the day at £1000 even though the car had been in only a month earlier and had had their “safety check” during which the brakes were all absolutely fine.  In the end they I had the fronts done only as they claimed the discs had measured 1mm under minimum spec, but the rears were well within spec still. And pads were still fine.  You do wonder, most car dealers are masters of bullsh***

Hope you enjoy the car though, I have loved driving mine - same age and colour.
[/quote]
Think I’ll get The ford dealer to have a look or even kwikfit. Need a second opinion.

The dealers replaced the tyres if they are below 3mm so I got 2 new rears and then another new front as it was damaged from the slightly bent Alloy which they wouldn’t replace. I couldn’t really see the discs and the pads are more than adequateImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 pm

They replace pads when they change discs even though they may be fine. Why is that ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Pads wear to the disc surface.  New discs have a perfectly flat surface whereas your old ones are grooved.  Old pads won’t bed in properly because they have worn to the old disc surface, so braking will be poor.  It will take about 300 miles for the new brakes to be at ‘full pull’.  Mine are really good now and work at the lightest of pedal touch.  The E70/71 brakes are very very good and much better than my F46 Gran Tourer!

I’ve checked the TIS and those minimum figures do match so the supplying dealer should have replaced them - and the pads as you must do both.  A BMW Dealer would know this data but I doubt a non-franchised would have and given the pads have plenty of life in them, probably never thought to check anyway.  Doesn’t really excuse it though  >:(

These are the instructions for my X6 which is basically the same running gear...the E70 instructions are on the same site.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e71- ... es/GZXGo0Y

The two caliper attachment bolts are Torx type and 110Nm torque.  You should (but don’t have to) replace the attachment bolts, but you must put Threadlok Blue on them when refitting.  I bought it from Amazon for less than £5, and did change my bolts for new ones from BMW at £14-00 for 4.
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:51 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Pads wear to the disc surface.  New discs have a perfectly flat surface whereas your old ones are grooved.  Old pads won’t bed in properly because they have worn to the old disc surface, so braking will be poor.  It will take about 300 miles for the new brakes to be at ‘full pull’.  Mine are really good now and work at the lightest of pedal touch.  The E70/71 brakes are very very good and much better than my F46 Gran Tourer!

I’ve checked the TIS and those minimum figures do match so the supplying dealer should have replaced them - and the pads as you must do both.  A BMW Dealer would know this data but I doubt a non-franchised would have and given the pads have plenty of life in them, probably never thought to check anyway.  Doesn’t really excuse it though  >:(

These are the instructions for my X6 which is basically the same running gear...the E70 instructions are on the same site.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e71- ... es/GZXGo0Y

The two caliper attachment bolts are Torx type and 110Nm torque.  You should (but don’t have to) replace the attachment bolts, but you must put Threadlok Blue on them when refitting.  I bought it from Amazon for less than £5, and did change my bolts for new ones from BMW at £14-00 for 4.
[/quote]
If I get the ford dealer to sort surely they will know  this.  Not many good garages will fit your parts. Might ask Alba tyres for labour quote as they did my tyres. How much should labour be?  PArts are £300.

Groken

Post by Groken » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 pm

If you wanted OEM you should have gone for ATE from Autodoc or Trw as they just as good, slightly better than Pagid and Eischer should not be fitted even to Fiesta. Also there's a good reason why good garage won't fit your own parts and it's to do with liability and warranty. Would you take a your own chicken to Nandos and asked them to cook it for you?

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm

[quote="AdamsX5"]
[quote="Nictrix"]
From BMW, front discs, pads and sensor are £399 supplied only.
I have just ordered these for mine as I am fed up with the vibration when braking on the motorway.
At the moment I have Brembo discs and pads from ECP and talking to different garages about the problem they dont rate parts from ECP and say that they are experiencing problems like what I have on quite a lot of cars after using parts from ECP.
It doesnt make sense to me.
[/quote]
That’s just for front?

[/quote]
Just the fronts

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 pm

[quote="Groken"]
If you wanted OEM you should have gone for ATE from Autodoc or Trw as they just as good, slightly better than Pagid and Eischer should not be fitted even to Fiesta. Also there's a good reason why good garage won't fit your own parts and it's to do with liability and warranty. Would you take a your own chicken to Nandos and asked them to cook it for you?
[/quote]
[emoji23] [emoji23]
Might have to considering you don’t know where they get their chicken from and what’s in it.

I think with oil and filter changes I used to supply my own parts and got a local garage to fit them.. this with a Yaris. But the bmw I’ve always used an Indi or franchise garage.
But with brakes and tyres being consumables would it be the same. I’ve always ordered online and for garage to fit them.

Nictrix

Post by Nictrix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:57 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
@Nictrix - ECP are the supplier/warehouse, not the manufacturer.  The only difference between buying from BMW and Pagid  (or Textar) is the box - and the price.

Were these alleged bad ECP parts OEM equivalent, or cheap alternatives the garage used that didn’t hold up in service so the owners came back for rework meaning someone had to put the right parts on at their own expense?  Not exactly a scientific or supportable reason for not using ECP.  You could say the same about any motor factors.  Were the garages seeing diy as a threat to their business so poo-pooing any suggestion that going there was good perhaps?  Not saying you are wrong, or they are wrong, just it rings slightly hollow maybe?

Personally I have never experienced bad parts from them but I only use OEM equivalents and always follow the different car manufacturers fitting instructions.  I don’t work for them, and I have to say their on-line service is simply awful, but the parts themselves are fine (so far).
[/quote]
I know ECP are just suppliers, I bought and fitted the parts myself. After years of doing my own work on my bikes and other cars, brakes are relatively simple so I was not concerned with doing them.
The reason I went with Brembo from ECP was due to the cost difference between BMWs prices and Brembo.
Brembo parts were around £100 less and I thought I would fit quality stuff.
At this point I do not know what is actually wrong but after speaking to a few mechanics one in particular asked if the parts came from ECP and said that they had had issues with brake parts from them in the past, mostly with larger vehicles. He didnt go in to details but there are only a few things that can go wrong with brakes.
I asked about having the discs skimmed on his procut machine to get rid of any runout and the guy said its not worth it and to replace the discs with others not from ECP. He was not looking for work.
This all started after replacing the pads only on the front with Brembos with the original discs. After the pads had fully bedded in there was vibration in the steering at motorway speeds.
The local BMW indy garage said one of the discs was warped so I swapped out the front discs and pads for a full set of Brembos and after bedding in the pads the vibration came back soon after. The warmer the brakes the worse the vibration. My theory is the Brembo pads are possibly warping the discs due to what they are made of but not completely convinced. Never had this before.
Before swapping these out this time I will be checking for disc and hub runout and fingers crossed this time will be fine.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 am

Really dealers like to say all brakes need replacing if they are not 99% new as most won't check ,that and wipers easy money !

Have just bought brembo front discs and pads for mine from ecp ,  hope they will be fine but I expect discs don't last that long on such a heavy car.Brembo is a quality brand ,the Eicher discs they try to flog certainly are not but I had a set before and the only problem was they juddered a lot till they bedded in which was over 1000 miles they then lasted another 50k  without issue.
  My mechanic was asking this too as he had an x5 down that got cheap discs which warped soon after (brand unknown)
Last edited by Leslie on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:48 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
Really dealers like to say all brakes need replacing if they are not 99% new as most won't check ,that and wipers easy money !

Have just bought brembo front discs and pads for mine from ecp ,  hope they will be fine but I expect discs don't last that long on such a heavy car.Brembo is a quality brand ,the Eicher discs they try to flog certainly are not but I had a set before and the only problem was they juddered a lot till they bedded in which was over 1000 miles they then lasted another 50k  without issue.
  My mechanic was asking this too as he had an x5 down that got cheap discs which warped soon after (brand unknown)
[/quote]
Ford dealer can do it for £430-475 that’s £130 labour if my parts are 300 but they use their own parts. Should have asked the parts make.
Oil and filter for £57 which is cheap.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

I couldn't buy the oil and filter for that ,a genuine filter is about 15 quid on its own ! They obviously get their oil for less but it must be longlife 04 for particulate filter cars but all diesels have them for years now  . Id think they will be using oe parts for the brakes just not from bmw , I think Id ask what they are fitting to save any disappointment later if it was me  :)

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:12 pm

[quote="Leslie"]
I couldn't buy the oil and filter for that ,a genuine filter is about 15 quid on its own ! They obviously get their oil for less but it must be longlife 04 for particulate filter cars but all diesels have them for years now  . Id think they will be using oe parts for the brakes just not from bmw , I think Id ask what they are fitting to save any disappointment later if it was me  :)
[/quote]
The last time I had my F10 done they used 030W when bmw changed spec from 530W. They rang bmw and used correct oil. The oil will be 6.5to 7l which costs about £60 for 2x30 Castro’s edge. Filter is about £10-15. So £57 is less than cost price. I’m having that done straight away just for the warranty as the last guy had it done at Indy and the oil wasn’t stated so I need to get one done ASAP.
Brakes coming at £430 all in is not bad Kwikfit said £606.  Considering parts are £300 and you need 2 sensors kwikfit said at £33 each may be cheaper for Ford to do it. It’s part of Polar Ford.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Ford may be using a cheap generic from the factors, like Eicher. Best to check. Also would not touch Kwik*hit with a bargepole, bunch of sharks, they will either deliberately or through ineptitude break something or claim all sorts of unnecessary stuff needs doing at inflated prices.  Do yourself a favour and find a decent BMW indy instead if not wanting to use the main dealers. (Brakes are vastly overpriced at main dealers)
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

AdamsX5

Post by AdamsX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:52 pm

[quote="CondorX5"]
Ford may be using a cheap generic from the factors, like Eicher. Best to check. Also would not touch Kwik*hit with a bargepole, bunch of sharks, they will either deliberately or through ineptitude break something or claim all sorts of unnecessary stuff needs doing at inflated prices.  Do yourself a favour and find a decent BMW indy instead if not wanting to use the main dealers. (Brakes are vastly overpriced at main dealers)
[/quote]
Thanks didn’t know that about Ford. Kwikfit did say it would be Pagid.
Will ring Indy tmrw. BMW autocare in Leeds. They seem ok but are considerably more expensive than non-franchise garages like Ford etc.
I know that online someone got bmw dealers to do fronts for £300 so will see  if Jct600 is any cheaper.