Carbon Cleaning

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Beamer

Carbon Cleaning

Post by Beamer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:28 am

Just wondering has anyone had their engine carbon cleaned ? If you have was there much of a difference in performance and MPG. Just reading the gen on it but I dont know.

Regards Beamer

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Carbon Cleaning

Post by Smeeagain » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:51 am

What precisely do you mean by "carbon cleaned" and how do you anticipate it would be cleaned?
Smee

Beamer

Post by Beamer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 am

Read that, quite informative.

http://mobilecarboncleanni.co.uk/
Last edited by Beamer on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glen

Post by Glen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:42 am

i think terraclean is the same .they get a lot of good reviews
2012 X5 40d msport Mine now gone :(
2010 320d convertible WIFE'S
2006 Mini cooper convertible WIFE'S gone
2017 X5 m50d m performance pack

Upex

Post by Upex » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 am

Had a hydrogen clean and it did make a difference. Bit more perky and responsive and touch smoother. Not sure if it was the cleaning or the trashing engine for an hour that cleared the crap though lol
2005 (55 plate) x5 3.0d sport, auto trans, nav tv thingy, but no dsp.

Under a turbo swap presently (fingers crossed it fixes her!)

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Took my 3.2 Cayenne to the local terraclean garage they wouldn't touch it being  a v6 said they'd had problems with v6 engines
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:43 pm

[quote="Beamer"]
Read that, quite informative.

http://mobilecarboncleanni.co.uk/
[/quote]

Oh this nonsense again. I believe it comes with a free bottle of snake oil

Smee

Beamer

Post by Beamer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:12 am

What is nonsense ? I am asking a question and would like
and would request sensible answers. If I want a question answered about snake oil I will ask.
This sort of smart arsed answer that puts people of the forums and asking questions which they don't know the answer to.
If you have nothing "SENSIBLE" or "CONTRIBUTABLE" TO add please don't reply.
Now back to the original question.

IanP

Post by IanP » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:07 am

My friend runs a car tuning shop doing hydro flow engine cleaning.  I am the world's biggest sceptic regarding these cleaning methods but he has seen some spectacular results especially with  DPF cleaning.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:02 pm

[quote="Beamer"]
What is nonsense ? I am asking a question and would like
and would request sensible answers. If I want a question answered about snake oil I will ask.
This sort of smart arsed answer that puts people of the forums and asking questions which they don't know the answer to.
If you have nothing "SENSIBLE" or "CONTRIBUTABLE" TO add please don't reply.
Now back to the original question.
[/quote]

Ok. It's a load of rubbish. it has been reviewed on a number of tv programmes, and in particular by Which? Magazine. Basically there is no evidence to substantiate the claims. That (carbon cleaning) and and a product called "terracelan" both come up with some fairly negative reviews.

I appreciate you didn't know the answer - that's why I pointed out that it (i.e. the product, not the question) was nonsense and just a load of snake oil. In fact the phrase snake oil comes up in many of the google search results when you type in carbon cleaning or terraclean. Take a look at the Pistonheads forum. I reckon it is aloud of old cobblers, that is is snake oil, and like it or not, Im entitled to my opinion, and entitled to state my opinion, just as you are yours.

My advice is don't waste your money. but try it if you wish. I believe there have also been several instances of engine damage also.

Do search on this forum for a product called terra clean.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:03 pm

[quote="Glen"]
i think terraclean is the same .they get a lot of good reviews
[/quote]

No, they don't

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:07 pm

[quote="Upex"]
Had a hydrogen clean and it did make a difference. Bit more perky and responsive and touch smoother. Not sure if it was the cleaning or the trashing engine for an hour that cleared the crap though lol
[/quote]

Precisely. Without putting the car on a dynamometer test no-one can know and that's what they base their claims on. No one wants to feel ripped off. Most folk think they feel a benefit but they simply cannot know due to the variables - car load, tyre pressure, weather conditions, road surface, traffic etc etc etc

I use a product called Diesel Rhino. I think it works, but that's just what I think. i don't know that it works. I've used it to clear lumpy running on cold start, and a bit of black smoke and that has gone, but can I substantiate the manufacturers claim that I get more power? Of course I can't. But if I think I've got more power then I'll drive faster. That's not more power it is just more speed.

I can't possibly know the power output sat behind the wheel

Upex

Post by Upex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:10 pm

[quote="Smeeagain"]
[quote="Upex"]
[/quote]

Precisely. Without putting the car on a dynamometer test no-one can know and that's what they base their claims on. No one wants to feel ripped off. Most folk think they feel a benefit but they simply cannot know due to the variables - car load, tyre pressure, weather conditions, road surface, traffic etc etc etc
[/quote]

Just to be clear for all, the quote isn't directed at smeeagain just quoting the quote as it's been referred to, I was not advocating or confirming hydrogen cleaning worked, in fact I'm likely the biggest sceptic of all. My car did feel better, I can guarantee that much, however, it could well have been the thrashing it got for an hour whilst the cleaning was in progress, and in absence of any actual evidence, I believe it was, but maybe wrong.

Anyone want to idle and rev the nuts off their motor for an hour to help gain some evidence?  :))

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:52 pm

and it would still be subjective! :) Still needs a dynamometer for empirical evidence. anything else is simply a phenomenon known as 'confirmation bias'. If you want to believe something is true (partly perhaps because you paid out for it), then you look for evidence that satisfies that belief.

if the egr valve cokes up with carbon you can take it off and clean it manually. But you still won't know if it has given you any more 'power'

Smee

Upex

Post by Upex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't think I got any more power from the clean out (thrash or hydrogen related), but it did help with smoothness, quietness and the like, unless all my senses were deceived. I'm under no illusion and a former forsensic scientist, so know all to well how humans can percieve vs actual evidence. I was under no expectation that it would make a jot of difference, but my volitity of revs at tick over (the only bit of this I was able to actually evidence) was a bit more stable.