Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Extended Warranty hate my X......

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
the shreksta

Re: Extended Warranty hate my X......

Post by the shreksta » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:03 am

Is that still a v8 bi-turbo?

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:13 am

Yes, its a 4.4 twin turbo. 
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks for the info, I feel that at the same price as the x5m I would be daft not to get the M model. Mpg isn't an issue for me as I only do about 80 miles a week

Nat

Post by Nat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:15 pm

" she wants a Scirocco " .................

Please do some home work on these.

1.4 engine a real weak point. My local indy has 3 of them awaiting new engines. The 1.4 cannot cope with the car and blow up  very easily . Its the fashion now, all these new cars with little turbo engines to keep emissions low are not up to the job. Aptly its cheaper to get a fresh crate engine and swap them over because when they go its a real mess...............oh  and its £5k + .
Im not saying DONT , just inform yourself first.

Good luck.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Well back to original topic for a moment - collecting the 4.8 this afternoon after warranty treated her to a full brand new sunroof plus the new door lock mechanism /carrier - nearly. £3.5k  :'( for a car not worth a great deal more than that these days!      And the dealership left me with the 7 series MSport loan car since last week, nice bonus! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 pm

[quote="Nat"]
" she wants a Scirocco " .................

Please do some home work on these.

1.4 engine a real weak point. My local indy has 3 of them awaiting new engines. The 1.4 cannot cope with the car and blow up  very easily . Its the fashion now, all these new cars with little turbo engines to keep emissions low are not up to the job. Aptly its cheaper to get a fresh crate engine and swap them over because when they go its a real mess...............oh  and its £5k + .
Im not saying DONT , just inform yourself first.

Good luck.
[/quote]

already done my home work on that, it affects pre-2011 cars and if im correct its the ones that are turbo and supercharged. will be getting her a 2012/2013 plate non supercharged version through the volkswagon approved used scheme.

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 pm

[quote="CondorX5"]
Well back to original topic for a moment - collecting the 4.8 this afternoon after warranty treated her to a full brand new sunroof plus the new door lock mechanism /carrier - nearly. £3.5k  :'( for a car not worth a great deal more than that these days!      And the dealership left me with the 7 series MSport loan car since last week, nice bonus!
[/quote]

sounds like your having great service from your dealer................which is a rarity :)

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 pm

They are all quite nice at the dealership, although that does not translate to efficient or clued up sadly - the workshop is hopelessly inept at times (most times).  Today when I collected the 4.8 the seat belt was really hard to pull out - the door pillar upper trim fell off at that point!  Luckily I had not yet driven off - the clever clogs Master Tech who had spent the entire day fitting a brand new sunroof, had to come up and sort it out.  Should have been checked in the first place!

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Just to add, when I arrived home I discovered the rubber bung covering the hole which accesses the door mechanism wasn't replaced either........leaving a lovely big hole for water ingress. When I emailed the service fella he was quite brazen - just got a breezy "sorry we'll send you one in the post".

The workshop service, for what main dealers charge, is utterly crappy.  I didn't have to pay a penny of what were actually really expensive repairs, warranty covered it all, but really, there should be quality controls before a car leaves the workshop...........

Just for interest main dealer prices were as follows : door carrier replacement £173.95 parts plus 5 hours labour........ sun roof full replacement cassette minus the glass  £1700,  plus 8 hours labour charges.....the whole headlining and sliding inner roof has to be removed,  as well as door pillar trims, and then the original glass has to be removed and placed into the new cassette and the whole lot refitted.  Apparently this took an entire working day and even then, a door trim was still carelessly replaced and needed adjusting when I was about to drive off.
The warranty on this car has definitely been worth its weight in gold..........
Last edited by CondorX5 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.