Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice please - x5 wheels (seized bolts - dealer liable?)

General car related chat
bubbabear

Advice please - x5 wheels (seized bolts - dealer liable?)

Post by bubbabear » Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 pm

I purchased my 2012 AUC car almost 2 years old (May 15). In Feb 16 BMW replaced the 20" alloys due to corrosion as a guesture of goodwill. These wheels were supplied and fitted by Coopers Thames Ditton.

Roll on 14 months to April 16 and my car is being serviced at BMW Parklane who are unable to remove the wheel because all the wheelbolts have been overtightened by Coopers. They drill out the front bolts and replace them at £215 and I pay. I go back to Coopers to ask to be reimbursed and they tell me to get lost.

So should wheel bolts be fitted with grease and who is liable for the seized bolts? Car has only been to Coopers and Parklane, all parts are genuine BMW. Should i pick up a £430 bill for this issue when i havent touched the wheels??
X5 xdrive30d sport 2012, past E39 530i sport touring , e46 330ci.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Advice please - x5 wheels (seized bolts - dealer liable?)

Post by graemeX5 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 am

Hi,

I think it will be difficult due to the length of time between the wheels were replaced, i assume you meant Feb 14 and not 16, and April 16 when the car was serviced.

The problem is proving only those garages and BMW worked on the car and no one else did during that time, as I guess they will argue anyone could have taken the wheels on or off during that period, so probably difficult to prove.

It may be better if you explain the situation to, I think it's , either the complaints or dealer principal about the problem, as they would have more discretion over the problem and see if there is a compromise that can be achieved. There is no guarantee, but it's worth trying.

Always write a few notes first with what happened when and that these are the only places the car has been to have any work, so you can refer to it when you call or talk to them. Just remember, no matter how frustrated you maybe to keep calm and explain to the person at the other end, that you need their Help to resolve the problem is always a good start. Its amazing how this approach can help achieve a better solution, and all it's cost is a call and bit of preparation.

With regards to the bolts being greased I don't think they do it or it is required or recommended but I remember when I used to change the wheels to put a small bit on the thread to help get it started.

Hope that helps

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

gmc15

Post by gmc15 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:43 am

Consensus is that wheel bolts should not be greased as the correct torque can't be applied on geased threads.
Hopefully you can get some sort of compensation from the garage :)
x6 M50d

themoog

Post by themoog » Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm

When I lost the security key for the wheel bolts on my Cayenne a couple of years ago I just took it to Porsche Cambridge and they got them off and gave me new standard bolts all for £20. Which I thought wasn't bad..

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Er..................sounds like mechanic used air hammer and over tightened the bolts.
I wouldn't use grease on the bolts ............ever.
I use a tiny amount of copper ease on the bolt thread at the end of the bolt , and never get any on the shoulder of the bolt or the wheel as the bolts hold due to friction. If you grease them they won't grip like they should.

The bolts should be checked with a torque wrench to the correct torque.

I have NEVER had a bolt/nut get stuck and I have had some horrid neglected cars in the past.

I have had the odd rear wheel get stuck to the hub but they usually let go after a few well placed blows . This is not your issue so irrelevant. A bit of copper ease on the flat face on back of the wheel where it meets the hub solves this.

I think its 100 % dealer/mechanic fault.
Hard to prove and as you have found out they have told you to " go forth and multiply "
Clearly if they can't fit a wheel properly they are not competent to do anything else so avoid from now on.

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 pm

apologies new wheels fitted Feb16 , car serviced and wheels off for warranty work April 17. I have never had this problem before and given the fact that the wheels and wheelbolts were both under 2 yrs old i am left with a £430 bill because a 'competent bmw trained techician' fitted the wheels and another cant get them off.

I have contacted bmw uk to see what their response is. I am hoping for some goodwill since car is AUC approved and has only been to bmw workshops for servicing.

Is the wheelnut seizing a common issue on diamond cut alloys?

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 pm

[quote="bubbabear"]
Is the wheelnut seizing a common issue on diamond cut alloys?
[/quote]

Not if a small amount of copper grease is added when they are fitted...
Dave W.
BMW E70 X5 40D

sid10

Post by sid10 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:58 pm

I thought all BMW parts were covered under a 2 year no quibble warranty , try this from a different angle !
If the bolts were put on by an air tool you can usually tell as it strips the edges of the bolts . 
    say you were thinking of trading in for a new car but they have been so blaze that you are going to report them to head office , ask to speak to the dealer principle face to face then ask for some one higher ranking if no joy ,
  At the very least they should have asked you to check the torque on the bolts after 30 miles .

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you to all who replied. BMW uk replied and said they didnt have any technical knowledge in head office (on how often you should remove wheels) so reply on dealers to answer customers queries....ie they are unwilling to help me and my issue is with coopers. I will try the dealer principal and if they are not willing to compensate me i will go to the small claims court. My hourly rate is the same as the dealer so that will be £160 per hour of my time spent on this matter.......

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 am

When I changed over to winter tyres last October, the garage striped one of the locking wheel nuts.  I went to the local bmw dealer with the intention of buying a new set.  After giving them a sob story as they had only recently replace all the brake pads they gave me a new set of locking studs foc.
Never knowingly underfed

2012 E70 30d M Sport

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Update : Coopers refuse to compensate me but Bmw Parklane persuaded bmw uk to offer a 100% goodwill offer to fix all wheels. What a nice ending  :)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Congrats on getting it sorted at no expense to you other than time & frustration.

When I get the winter/summer tyre changes done by BMW I always tell them that I expect them to be torqued correctly, which they always seem to.....but I still check them myself afterwards too.

I've been the victim of airgunned wheel nuts before!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Wed May 24, 2017 9:59 pm

All nut runners have 4 torque settings adjustable with a dial near the air inlet. I've seen guys at work sheer off shafts using nut runners set to #4. The trouble is you often need #4 to undo things so they never say put it back on #2 when refitting.
Really they should be just run up with the gun and then finished off using a torque wrench. But in the real world
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu May 25, 2017 12:17 pm

[quote="bubbabear"]
Update : Coopers refuse to compensate me but Bmw Parklane persuaded bmw uk to offer a 100% goodwill offer to fix all wheels. What a nice ending  :)
[/quote]

Great result. I know where I'd be looking first for my next car, and it wouldn't be Coopers! I bought my 530i from Park Lane and found them first rate. Sadly the guy I dealt with left and the next guy couldn't come near what I was offered elsewhere, but I had no issues with their service.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Nat

Post by Nat » Thu May 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Glad it has ended well.

Your problem was you went to Cooper. Utterly useless. ( I am being polite )

Which branch ? Not that it seems to make any difference , every branch I have tried are just as incompetent as the other ones.

You have learn't a free lesson in this case. Don't go there again .