Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adaptve Drive Questions

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Adaptve Drive Questions

Post by AW8 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:34 pm

With my E53 out of service, (as per recent thread), I am still weighing up E70 as potential replacement, (subect to some maths).

Adaptive Drive is an option on E70......(cars so equipped have Sport button rearward of gear shift selector).

I know it is a superb option when working and significantly improves handling on twisty roads, BUT, having read some posts on here I understand it can go wrong and repair costs can be very expensive outside of warranty.

Q1 : I know E70 adaptive drive could be ordered as a stand alone option. Is it included in ALL dynamic pack equipped SE cars &/or MSport cars ?

Q2 : Anyone with Adaptive Drive had associated repairs or failures ?

Q3 : Is progressive B road driving acceptable without adaptive drive suspension ?

Q4 : If buying an 8 year old car with 80k miles on clock outside of AUC warranty and with pockets less deep than some - Would you avoid a car so equipped ?

IF I buy a 2008/9 E70 with 80k mileage or higher, my gut feeling is to avoid  used cars with adaptive suspension unless I have warranty or deep pockets. A BMW Indy has indicated that my thoughts on this may be wise.

For various reasons I am still undecided if E70 will be next car.  Think that ideally I need to drive some E70's with different set ups.....this will help me decide if handling is acceptable on cars without adaptive drive. I also appreciate wheel size is a factor as well as the rarely optioned active steering if fitted. Obviously alignment is a factor on used cars too.

I started this suspension thread as I wanted to get specific comments re same.

If anyone wants to see my E70 discusson thread it csn be found here.

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... 361.0.html

Thanks in advance
Last edited by AW8 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Adaptve Drive Questions

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:00 am

Hi

I think X5Sport may know most as I only can comment on the latter cars but it may help.

Q1 from looking at the later Facelift E70 details in their brochure the adaptive drive was a cost option on all between £1700 -£2500, so I would assume it was the same on the earlier E70.

The dynamic pack on the facelift cars was only for the SE models and apppears to be the sports suspension and seat etc to make it the same as the Msport, and see photo below, so a slightly firmer ride.

Q2- mine is fairly new 3 and 1/2 years old not representative but no issues in 7 months of ownership.

Q3 whether in adaptive drive or not on the route to work with a few bends it feels better than without it and on my test drive I did notice the difference when trying some more spirited driving, but it's a big car to chuck around, and in reality a small fiesta would handle better on a twisty road.

Q4- I would think carefully as with anything complicated, as when it goes wrong it costs more to fix. When thinking of the earlier E53 cars those with air suspension on the front such as the 4.6 and 4.8 we are starting to hear of probleams with them and they are a minimum of 10 years old and it's costly to fix so some are stopping it over to a standard set up.

So I would drive both cars with and without, but personally I would probably go for a SE with the dynamic pack (Msport suspension) or an Msport and avoid the risk and the handling won't be that much different unless you are drive it hard all the time in which case look at something else

Graeme

Last edited by graemeX5 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:22 am

Very helpful and comprehensive post.

My understand if now clear that adaptive suspension is additional to Msport or dynamic packs.

If I source an E70 without warranty I will probably avoid.

Thank you

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:56 pm

I have an E71 and from 2010 in there was no adaptive option on the 40d so I can't help.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:17 pm

Noted with many thanks

squeaky2

Adaptve Drive Questions

Post by squeaky2 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:29 am

Have adaptive drive on mine but haven't driven one without so difficult to comment.  I can however say where lots of people complain about the ride I've never had a problem.

Mine is a 2008 on 70'000 miles and considering the number of cracked alloys I've had the dampers are holding up quite well.

I no longer have a Bmw auc warranty as they wanted nearly £2k this year.  Taken out a warranty direct plan which seems to cover stuff like the dampers if they fail. 

Best to try and have a drive of each version and see which suits you best
Last edited by squeaky2 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:43 am

I have adaptive drive on my E70 (7 seater) that I've had for 8 years now. Made in  2007 and registered in 2008 it's done almost 134000 and the only suspension problem, so far, has been a leaking air bag on the rear.  Touch wood!!!  It's not got sport suspension. After my E53, this car rolls much less on corners, especially roundabouts, and several passengers have commented on the comfort.  When I switch on sport mode the ride is only subtly harder but I do use it when towing to stiffen up the back end a little.  I would certainly look for this option if and when I was buying a replacement.
Hope this helps,

Graeme

NehalX5

Post by NehalX5 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:09 pm

With regards to question 3, I wouldn't want to be chucking something this big around twisty B-road bends. It handles well on roads like Snake Pass, and can make very serious progress, much more than most SUV's and even some saloons. Do not forget this is a 2.2 tonne car and no matter how many electrical wizardry going on behind Adaptive Drive, it is still 2200kg of metal going around a sharp corner.

If I did ever find it specced, I would be pleased however.
BMW E70 X5 3.0sd | M-Sport | 7 Seats
Audi A6 C6 3.0TFSI Quattro S-Line tiptronic
Citroën C1 1.0 VTR
BMW E39 528i SE Manual