Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loud screech from rear wheels when unlocking

Discuss the problems with your BMW X5 (E70).
TomX5

Loud screech from rear wheels when unlocking

Post by TomX5 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi All,

This is the second time I've heard this now when I unlock my car. It's hard to describe but sounds like a very loud mechanical screeching noise. This time it lasted about five seconds. I was behind the car at the time and it sounded like it was coming from the rear near side wheel.
Any ideas what that could be?

Thanks!

mogsyman

Re: Loud screech from rear wheels when unlocking

Post by mogsyman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:03 pm

[quote="TomX5"]
Hi All,

This is the second time I've heard this now when I unlock my car. It's hard to describe but sounds like a very loud mechanical screeching noise. This time it lasted about five seconds. I was behind the car at the time and it sounded like it was coming from the rear near side wheel.
Any ideas what that could be?

Thanks!
[/quote]

My F10 M5 makes a noise at exactly the same time and it's something to do with the handbrake.

Annoying but nothing to worry about (probably)
2019 F90 M5
2019 Porsche Macan

Previous

2016 X3 20D M Sport
2016 X5 M50d
F10 M5
120D M Sport
335i DCT Vert
997 C2S
30D M Sport X5
2.0D M Sport X3
535D M Sport
4.8iS X5
3.0D M Sport X5
320D M Sport Cab
996 C2 Cab
Boxster S
Golf GTi (150 D)

TomX5

Post by TomX5 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks for your reply. I think there's more to it though, the parking brake won't release now. I remember seeing a thread on here about it so I'll have a quick read now.

X5_twin

Post by X5_twin » Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 pm

TomX5 that exactly what has happened to my car on Friday. I had to get my local garage to come and have a look and managed to get it to them on Friday. Just had a call from the garage to say the motor has gone that controls the handbrake mechanism. Not sure if you have had a quote but they said circa £700 for the part plus 2 hours labour to install it plus they may need to re-code it to the car which would cost another £100. All in looking at about £950 !!

How have you got on? Would like to know what you think re the quote I have had.

Good luck with yours.

TomX5

Post by TomX5 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Ouch! That's a hell of a lot of money, but reading other posts it sounds about right. Mine is going in tomorrow but I'm really hoping that it's not the actuator. I spoke to my local Indy today who said that it could well be worn rear brakes.
I'll report back tomorrow night with their findings!

TomX5

Post by TomX5 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Quick update for X5_twin

I had my rear brake replaced (pads, discs & shoes) as they were well shot. I was told initially that the worn shoes could well have seized and the noise I heard was the actuator trying to free them. I was banking on this being the case.....

However, the garage were unable to reset the handbrake warning message after the replacement components were fitted so I guess the actuator is at fault. I have it booked in at BMW on Monday (the previous actuator is still under warranty).

X5_twin

Post by X5_twin » Sun May 08, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Tom. Soon like you're nearly sorted.

Quick update on mine. Actuator needed replacing. New one now fitted and coded to the car (iDrive warning message gone). Not cheap though. Approx costs were Parts £690, labour 3 hours (diagnose problem, fit new parts and recode) total was over £1000 inc VAT. Never had a handbrake fail on a car in 20 years. These electric ones are bloody pointless ! Talk about over engineering. Whats wrong with the a lever!

Good luck with yours.

Oh and for anybody else who has a problem with the handbrake locking on. Top tip. The handbrake can be released manually. If you remove the panel in the boot on the left hand side there is something in there to release the handbrake so you can get the car to a garage.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 pm

I totally agree, but more and more cars use e-brakes.  Like you I have never had a cable fail on any car.  A bad ratchet once (fixed with a triangular file) but that was it.  My Skoda has the same system, which being an Audi part is likely to be  :o if it fails!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

TomX5

Post by TomX5 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:40 am

This is the third actuator to fail on my car in 11 months and, although replacing it under warranty, the cost of the repair to me would have been £1200 (at Cooper BMW in Reading). They had a look at the whole system to see if there were any obvious issues causing the premature failures but couldn't find anything.

The only time I ever use my handbrake is when I park on my drive. It's quite a slope and after seeing my old Audi roll into the road one night I don't think I'd be happy without using it.