Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Time to change? What would you do?

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
gobiman

Re: Time to change? What would you do?

Post by gobiman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:33 am

Condor,
Just picked up this thread. I am in a similar position. My 2004 4.8iS has just gone through 100k but starting to pick up expensive problems. I love it too particularly the big V8. I went a slightly different route in not renewing the BMW Used Car Warranty at £1,200 a year back in 2010 but,on the flipside, have probably spent £5k on warranty items since including replacing the air suspension. I feel it doesn't owe me anything but would like to keep it going for another couple of years not least because it is a great car for skiing on its vred winter tyres.
Latest issue is a blown amp which is periodically draining the battery but I cannot face paying the thick end of £1000 to repair it so have asked my indy to disconnect it instead so no radio/IPOD. I don't use it that much and it tends to be a winter car so I sold my 20 inch OEM wheels and tyres earlier in the year (it lives on 18s and winters) and I will dig out the intravee/Alpine KCA 420 when it comes back and flog those too on ebay.
I tend to keep cars for 10 years and I am quite tempted by a new 50i SE. I do quite fancy the auxiliary heating option - had it on my diesel but not on the 4.8. Broadspeed and others are showing an 18% discount which helps with the initial depreciation and I like the combo of V8,450 bhp and 224 CO2 for tax.
So much better value at £50-60k depending on options than the £90k a neighbour has just spent on a RR Sport, nice though it is.
I have been putting it off each year but I think it might be time to jump soon!
4.8iS 2004 Le Mans Blue
Z1 1989 Top Red
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:00 am

Well, to update this thread........
Nice new Arnott airsprings installed on both fronts by the local garage.  I bought the springs - came in via Europe, took a few days longer. Cost was £490 for both.
They also repaired the window problem - took door card off to investigate and found one of the tensioner bolts had come loose. Repaired that and its now 100%.  Checked all brakepipes, no sign of any significant corrosion. No repairs needed.

Total labour costs £200.  Plus the airsprings - total £690.

BMW on the other hand wanted £595 for the window regulator which they claimed was knackered,  £1350 (later reduced to £950) for the "corroded" brake pipes replacement and £700 for a replacement single air strut on the front.  The only work necessary was the front airspring plus labour for the window, the rest was a pack of made up lies. 

Sad that some people feel the desperate need to rip people off, I have been using the same main dealer for years, and although I am (ahem) a mature woman, I have always indicated a very strong interest and more knowledge than usual about my cars, so not sure why the idiots thought I was a good candidate to rip off this time......anyhow, it backfired on them.

Happy result and great little local garage.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:37 am

Congrats - it always sounded like your car was in great shape, glad u got it sorted so cheap! [emoji106]

You should report back to the dealer [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:08 am

Good to hear!

Back on the road for a lot less than what BMW wanted!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:39 am

Hi

I am glad you got your X5 sorted by hyour local garage and a bit dismayed at the fact BMW garage wanted to do work on your car which appears to be unnecessary.

This to me is especially sad since you have been a loyal customer and had one of their warranties on the car as well.

In my mind the given the regular maintenance by you the question to me is given the age of your car and the cost of the warranty and the fact the warranty didn't cover a lot of the repairs this time around whether the warranty is good value?

Although saying that they are replacing the sat nav unit and the parking sensor for you.

I just guess it proves you have to check and shop around on prices.
Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:01 pm

I would go back to the Dealer and tell them in no uncertain terms what you think of them!  A 'deep & meaningful' with the Dealer Principal followed by a threat to name and shame!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Nick73

Post by Nick73 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Just my two penneth, but Ive been convinced for years that main dealers charge so much isn't just to rip you off, but so that when your car gets to a certain age, you stand in the forecourt and weigh up a couple of grand or so for repairs versus a couple of grand plus trade  in for a newer car off their forecourt.  Hence they shift stock.

Not sure if the maths exactly works for X5's but have 2 different friends who have recently ended up doing exactly this when taking an older car into main dealer for servicing (one volvo one audi).

Me.. i prefer a decent indy  ;)

On a separate note, I've replaced rear air springs on a Discovery myself, for £120 the pair (more than once... but that says more about Land Rover), I assume they are different kettle of fish all together in these machines?