Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Xdrive40d Remap by Jason BWchiptune

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 pm

I have an Xdrive 40d.

Amazing car but I felt like it was a bit sluggish. Not that it lacked in power (306bhp is 306bhp after all) but that it lacked in oomph, responsiveness, whatever you want to call it. It could get to silly speeds but it felt lazy getting there.

I spoke to Jason about remapping it and as he had done my previous e70 pre-lci 30d (well he arranged through a guy that was local to me), I knew that it would be good. Because of the ECU used in these cars, it has to be removed from the car and remapped on the bench. Jason explained it's a fiddly job that can result in killing the ECU if not done properly so going direct to him this time was the best option.

He took his time and did the job carefully and there were no problems, but I was comfortable that Jason had said that if he breaks an ECU, he replaces it and doesn't try to wriggle out of responsibility. Something I can imagine less trustworthy individuals might do.

I can only say - WOW  :)

The car is transformed. Driving today, it felt like a different car to previously. It is smoother with no flat spots, and does pootling around much better than before as it barely needs any pedal travel to move off and cruise. It's as if the weight has been reduced, just feels much more effortless. This is what I am most interested in as I don't actually drive foot to the floor in 2 tonne SUVs usually  :))

However, when putting the foot down it is soooo much more powerful. At any speed, any gear, you can put your foot down and without even activating kick down it literally takes off and just keeps pulling until you run out of road. I am amazed, literally.

I had a 4.6is some time ago (340 bhp apx) and that felt quick for a 4x4, but with the torque in the 40d it feels like a step up from that.

I can only advise anyone on the fence about remapping to get it done. Once you get used to remapped cars,  factory maps always feel inadequate - not so much because of the power but due to the way it is delivered. A decent remap wakes the car up in a way that is hard to describe and kills flat spots in the rev range.

Jason, if you're reading this, what are the estimated figures post remap? And thanks again!
Last edited by JimmySpeed on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dobbor1

Post by dobbor1 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I bet it's not far from the M50d figures. Sounds amazing. Might look at this early next year for my 40d.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Currently:  2011 E70 X5 40D M Sport Black Sapphire
Previously: 2006 E53 X5 30D Le Mans Blue Sport Edition

celica

Re: Xdrive40d Remap by Jason BWchiptune

Post by celica » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Nice work

Is that on the bench because of LCI or is that the case if pre LCI too?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Only applies to LCI versions as BMW were aiming to prevent remaps.  It is one of the reasons that remapped cars can have the map overwritten the next time the car is plugged into a BMW network/server. 

The OEM system can detect the change and simply wipes it back to 'as built' as there is a code (called a checksum) that a remap can alter away from that recorded in the factory.  Being friendly sorts, BMW recognise this and in case it's a fault in the map, rewrite it back to factory so it's working nicely again.  Generous of them... >:(

I believe that the eventual aim being put into EU standards is that it will be impossible to do a remap by perhaps changing the memory type to WORM (Write Once, Read Many) but this then affects patching in the event of trouble being found and a complete replacement would be needed.  Until that gets sorted, remaps are possible.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 am

Hi the remap sounds interesting seems to have change it into a more responsive car, definitely worthwhile ;)

Your right about the spec it's ridiculous who would want a car with all of that,  :)) I would, and I've never seen one with all the options ticked was it a BMW GB ex demo car?
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:17 am

[quote="graemeX5"]
Hi the remap sounds interesting seems to have change it into a more responsive car, definitely worthwhile ;)

Your right about the spec it's ridiculous who would want a car with all of that,  :)) I would, and I've never seen one with all the options ticked was it a BMW GB ex demo car?
[/quote]

The first owner was a director and part owner of Sycamore BMW in Peterborough. I don't know how it works when you own a franchise but I'm guessing you don't pay for your options in the same way as us 'regular' folk.  :D

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:23 am

[quote="X5Sport"]
Only applies to LCI versions as BMW were aiming to prevent remaps.  It is one of the reasons that remapped cars can have the map overwritten the next time the car is plugged into a BMW network/server. 

The OEM system can detect the change and simply wipes it back to 'as built' as there is a code (called a checksum) that a remap can alter away from that recorded in the factory.  Being friendly sorts, BMW recognise this and in case it's a fault in the map, rewrite it back to factory so it's working nicely again.  Generous of them... >:(
[/quote]

This! I had the car in with BMW in the first week I owned it and got them to check for any updates it might need. There was a 'security enhancement' available for the OBD security which got done, and a minor idrive update. That was all that was outstanding. I wanted to make sure that I would have no reason to take it back to BMW anytime soon. My warranty doesn't require me to use franchised garages. If it was BMW AUC I would wait for that to expire before remapping personally.

Caesium

Post by Caesium » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 am

I have the 2013 model of that very same car with a similar spec. Maybe I'll consider getting this done also.

Couple of questions
  • Does it affect MPG significantly
  • Does it affect the DPF
  • What's the quoted power now
  • How much did it cost
Currently :
2013 BMW E70 X5 40D MSport

Previously :
2008 BMW E92 335D MSport
2004 BMW E46 M3
2005 BMW E60 535D MSport
2002 BMW E39 530D Sport
The list goes on...

JimmySpeed

Post by JimmySpeed » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:43 pm

I don't really monitor my MPG, and having had the car for only 3 weeks prior and having done only apx 200 miles, I have no idea what I was getting before. It shouldn't get worse from a remap, apart from when using the extra power (that goes without saying). I doubt I'll be making peak power very often though, not if I want to keep my licence.

As for the DPF - what do you mean by 'affect' it? Change when it regens? Or do you mean will it shorten it's life? I can only say that on previous remapped cars (some very high milers included) I've never had a DPF issue personally on any of those cars.

I think quoted power is now around 366bhp and 700nm, but i'm hoping Jason can confirm.

PM Jason for a price  ;) http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php?a ... ofile;u=65

sitrom

Post by sitrom » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Jason did my 30sd a couple months ago, and as you said the car was transformed (quoted figures 345bhp, 700nm). I've known Jason for a few years now, since i've always taken my BMWs to him. He is a top bloke. Couldn't recommend him highly enough.

celica

Post by celica » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:09 pm

[quote="sitrom"]
Jason did my 30sd a couple months ago, and as you said the car was transformed (quoted figures 345bhp, 700nm). I've known Jason for a few years now, since i've always taken my BMWs to him. He is a top bloke. Couldn't recommend him highly enough.
[/quote]

What's the cost I have a 3.0sd too
But I've got nav unit drive, annoying climate control noise which needs looking at, so trying to prioritise

RenoHuskerDu

Post by RenoHuskerDu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:30 am

I'm running a RaceChip on mine.

Same results, same joy!
Reno: Alsace, France = only 30 minutes to Germany der Vaterland!
2011 E70 40d well kitted from the factory, RaceChip 375hp
2005 E53 3.0d, manual gearbox, sport susp, RaceChip 278hp

Aff

Post by Aff » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:39 am

Hi All,

Anyone had a LCI XDrive30d mapped? Toying with the idea so wondering what sort of realistic gains in power and efficiency could be the end result.