Help - which spec ?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Neil

Help - which spec ?

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:56 am

Hello, I'm new to this. I'm looking to buy a second hand M Sport (probably 08/09) but I wanted to know what people who have lived with them think are must have things. I want auto boot and pan roof but beyond that I'm open. What are people's must have's ? Thanks

Graeme

Re: Help - which spec ?

Post by Graeme » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:22 am

Can I suggest that as you are looking for a car about 6-7 years old that some basic priorities should be considered?  Vitally important is how the car has been looked after -how many miles has it done, and is there a full service history (when was it last serviced and when were all the filters last renewed).  Has care been taken over the interior and exterior.    What are tyres like - all the cars came with runflats and they wear in a peculiar way - the fronts wear on the outside edge, especially the n/s; the rears wear rapidly on the inside edge as well as the centres - even when sticking religiously to the pressures specified. A new set will cost between 800-1000 GBP fitted.  Many folk comment on them doing less than 20000 miles

Is it petrol or diesel?  Diesels were both 3l - the 3.0d and the 3.5d which had I believe twin turbos and a different EMS.  Petrols were thirsty beasts.  All the early cars made before autumn 2008 cost 480gbp to tax.

Drive the car - does the gear box change up and down cleanly - accelerate gently  and watch the rev counter - it should change up quickly with no jump in revs (rolling in).  Try it on bumpy roads, not smooth dual carriageways - if it has Msport suspension you'll probably find it's hard, feeling every matchstick you hit - it really can be uncomfortable.

Many of the options on the earlier cars were individual ones, though some like the dynamic package include adaptive suspension and M seats and steering wheel which make the car better to drive. The communications package that includes satnav, Bluetooth and TV is worthwhile.  The 7 seater has uprated rear suspension. Others options are more like frills and some are prone to trouble - the pana roof for example is well known for leaking and sticking - they won't improve things if the car you look at is a lemon!

Good luck with your search...

Graeme

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 am

Both good options to have but throughly test the sunroof because it is expensive when it goes wrong, which it probably will!!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:02 pm

I should have mentioned that mine has xenon headlights, adaptive drive, satnav and uprated rear suspension, all of which I really like.  I have a BMW towbar fitted for a caravan.  I now have two sets of 19" wheels, with summer and winter tyres fitted. I would have liked auto folding wing mirrors and sundym glass - but buying second hand I think it's more important to go with condition, mileage and service history.

Best wishes,

Graeme

ImaginativeTruth

Post by ImaginativeTruth » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:58 pm

As its such a large car,  I think the 'top view' is essential. It makes parallel parking and parking within car park lines so much more managable. It also helps in narrow drive thru's and car parks.

Check the gearbox, it must be silky smooth. Check that with foot on brake and engaging drive that the car does not jerk. It must change gear on the go smoothly all the time. Often a software patch will fix this though...

Check the car accelarates on kick down without delay. I complained about this and was traced to low gearbox oil - dealer complained it was such a faff to top up; with temps, pressures etc.

Check that all software updates and recalls are done on the car - including front diff, rear protective film, security patch. My dealer had not heard of all the ones I asked for but did need doing.

Inspect the idrive screen for damage very well. It cannot be replaced on its own and a new nav system is c.£2.5k...

Auto boot is standard (my car 12 plate)...

I'd make sure you had pro nav as audio system is great with this.

40d is the pick of the diesels - I got it and dont regret it one bit.

Graeme

Post by Graeme » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Good advice about the software updates including the security ones being done. Neil is wanting an 08/09 though and  the 4.0 came out much later replacing the 3.5 and pro-nav wasn't an option on the older cars, though upgraded speakers was.  Not sure how many had rear view camera and auto boot closure though!

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:30 am

Thank you for all your comments. I've bought a 2008 3.0d m sport with 60k on. It's got full history and has been well looked after. It was spec,d highly by original owner so has pretty much everything, xenons, pan roof, sat with TV, auto boot,  heated seats and wheel, rear camera.  I will ask dealer about the software. I pick it up today so when I have stopped driving around aimlessly like a teenager I will tell you what I think. Thank you again.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:52 pm

You'll love the heated steering wheel......... :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:17 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
You'll love the heated steering wheel......... :)
[/quote]

Yes, I have that on my leaf!!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:41 am

Morning, Well I drove from Dundee to Leeds in my beast yesterday and it is amazing. I absolutely love it. I bought it from a dealer based on a video they sent me and I'm very happy with it. Mechanically its sound and very smooth. Bodywork and wheels are excellent too. And not an ache anywhere.

I have a few niggles / questions though.

1, Sat Nav - it's a 57 plate 08 model. I can't seem to figure out how to put full postcode in. It doesn't allow the last 2 digits.

2, Bluetooth Audio. I have an iPhone 6 and it paired easily but only works for phone not music.

Also the dealer mentioned some "apps". I'm not a tech person so has no idea what he was talking about. Something locking the car.

Can you shed any light on this ? Thank you very much. Neil.

Ps - this car is massive. I may have to remove the gates from the drive before my wife does !!

Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 am

ImageImage

Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:48 am

Neil

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:51 am

Sorry, one more thing. On the video the TV function worked. Now it is saying no signal. Any ideas ?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:43 am

Try a retune would be the first thing.  If you have changed areas then the TV will be looking for the wrong channels.

Do not expect wonderful performance from the TV.  It has a low gain aerial (far less than your home aerial) and therefore needs a much stronger signal to keep a picture.  If you choose to have it set to work whilst driving then it will lose signal lock very frequently.  The UK TV system is just not designed to work 'mobile'.

Those with DAB radios frequently report similar issues as that also works on far lower transmitter powers (around 1/10th) than the old analogue TV did, and FM radio still does.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

jason909

Post by jason909 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:20 am

Hi,nice car,the sat nav wont take full post code only partial,later model takes full code,as for the bluetooth its probably the same as mine and will not stream music,again later models will if you have the advanced bluetooth,the only way to get music from your phone is by a cable,if you have the ipod plug, it should be in the centre console.