Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

radio amp location

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
pinky77

radio amp location

Post by pinky77 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm

just wondered if anyone knows were the radio amp is on my 2003 , 3.0d is and what it looks like as i think mine is missing thanks

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: radio amp location

Post by Sanj » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:07 pm

In the boot under the compressor, spare wheel etc.

The amp is built into the RCM (Radio Control Module). Look for the plastic cover marked 'BMW' held down with 3 screws and under that is a number of silver boxes (next to the battery). The one to the left (first one) with a 2 inch square plastic connector known as the quadlock attached to it. That's your fella!

Ignore the red arrow, see the silver box to the left with the wires coming out of it.

Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pinky77

Post by pinky77 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:38 pm

thanks sanj its just on my x5 passenger side of boot there some plugs under the 2 for the cd player one of them is quite large with round pins ?? whats the dsp amp ?? thanks

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 pm

The only thing there is the satnav unit - two square connectors and an antenna for the GPS...

I don't know about the DSP unit - I don't have one, but I'd assume it's an amp. Have you got the sub units on the right side of the boot compartment?
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pinky77

Post by pinky77 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:35 pm

not sure m8 have you any pics ive the satnav cd missing but the 2 plugs are there and i think bluetooth silver box in the bottom left im just tryin to solve my no sound on tv m8

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Yes the DSP amp is there if fitted, standing upright not flat like the dvd player and it does have some meaty plugs going into it.
3.0d Sport. Xenons,Tv/sat,Blinds,DVD Headrests,sidesteps,mudflaps,DSP,Walnut trim,softer leather,heated seats,remap,automatic,Oval exhaust upgrade, death ray and rockets.
Previous car; E46 M3 Convertible SMG.

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

I have the DSP amp down there, but I don't have the subwoofer. Is that normal ??

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm

Amp is usually in the boot back left below the sat nav etc and behing the metal box that the BTM is bolted too.
I say usually as i know some cars are different.
Dsp amp has three big connections and non dsp has two like these..... Image
behind the siver ulf module here ......

Looks like this Image

here's a diagram of the amp and the metal lare itr's bolted to Image
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

pvw10

Post by pvw10 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm

I dont think you can have a DSP system without the sub, would be daft without it IMHO.
3.0d Sport. Xenons,Tv/sat,Blinds,DVD Headrests,sidesteps,mudflaps,DSP,Walnut trim,softer leather,heated seats,remap,automatic,Oval exhaust upgrade, death ray and rockets.
Previous car; E46 M3 Convertible SMG.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 am

More Removal info

Following on from 2 PM's this week received from members discussing the radio module. This is my procedure for a 12/01 build car with comm's pack but not DSP.

Firstly familiarise yourself with the 1st picture as posted earlier in this thread courtesy of Sanj.

My BM54 was located slightly differently to Sanj's module but procedure will be similar to remove for most cars.

Tools needed : Socket set & extension bar(s), philips/crosshead screwdriver.

Keep all parts safe & lay them out in sequential order if needed. Ensure any cable routing & clearance is copied when putting back together......take photos as you go if needs must.

1. You do not have to remove fuses but it might be wise to do so.....Go to trunk cubby in right rear of boot & remove fuses 72 & 73.

2. Lift boot floor up to approx 45degrees. Then pull/manouvere to take out whole floor.

3. Remove spare wheel - do this as per instruction sticker on underside of boot floor (or as found in manual), use the cradle properly to do this & by placing the cradle handle into the tailgate catch assembly......also use the stay provided & situated next to the wrench.

4. Now remove the stay, close the lower tailgate & remove the plastic spare wheel cradle grip handle from your tailgate.

5. Lift & Place the cradle grab handle forwards & position it over the top of your centre rear headrest. This is so that the cradle is well out of the way.

6. You can now lower the tailgate again so as to give better access. You may have to climb into the back of the car.

7. The big metal dome is the air compressor for the air suspension it has to be lifted clear of the floor. Do not tamper with or touch the bolts on top of it.....We are only going to remove it by undoing the metal triangular frame that surrounds it.

8. Locate the air compressor support frame..... it is large & triangular & sits under the compressor. Now locate the fixing bolts you need to remove it.

9. I cant recall exact socket size size so select a socket that fits the large bolt head to the frame. There are 2 bolts on frame at outermost corners or the triangle & furthest from you if you are facing rear of the car. Undo & remove these bolts. If you can locate them then try lifting some of the insulation foam off the corners of the triangle

10. Now remove the two support frame bolts nearest to the bumper & at ends of the frame bars..... N.B. Leave the 3rd one in between these two. Keep all bolts safe and remember which one go where.

11. Gently lift the frame checking that harness cables & jammed . You need to pivot it at about same angle you elevated the floor pan. Keep supporting it & continue to increase the angle until it is effectively stood on its side with the top of the compressor housing facing the rear of the back seats.

12. Ensure it is steady & wont fall over. This is for damage prevention but also for your safety as it is heavy. If needs be use a bungee clip or similar to avoid it slipping whilst you are still working in bootspace.

13.Look down and you will see your battery, to front of it there is a large plastic cover with BMW written on it. remove the screws holding this & take it out of the car.

14. You will now see lots of boxes and wires, this will look like the picture I linked to before. Now identify the radio module it is the silver box and looks like the images of same as listed on ebay on ebay.

15. There will be a metal clip & bolt on top of it - undo this & be careful not to lose the bolt. [On my 12.01 build car I had a black black box close to my module.....the metal I mentioned was attached to the module but clipped to the black TMC module].

16. Disconnect the radio aerial - it comes off easily just take your time.

17. Now & assuming you have adequate clearance & access to ....Lift the module clear.

16. On back of the top of module there is a large connection socket with wires. This has a hinged retention clip on it, take time to look at it......Now lift the hinge - it will open about 30/40 degrees max. Once hinge lifted you can pull off the connector cable.

17. You should now have a radio module in your hand.

18. If you still don't have enough space to get it out then you can undo the plastic box frame that holds the module & other modules (such as PDC units). This is held in by screws. 2 are to nearside closest to rear left wheel rear the third is nearest to the seat back & at front of the 90 degree frame. Hopefully you wont have to remove this as access will be easy enough by point 17 above.

Apologies if this is all a bit obvious & too prescriptive for some but this is so folk have instructions catering for varied levels of experience &/or familiarity with the location of various parts & fitting situated under the boot floor.

Hope this helps folk ........Wish I had taken pics. I could have sworn that I had seen these before, ( perhaps on old site or somewhere else).
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Giles90

Post by Giles90 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:15 am

great guide this. Helped me get my BM54 out and it's now been sorted out...unfortunately I'm now only getting sound from 1 speaker!
Any thoughts?
I don't have the other amp under the cd changer so shouldn't be to do with that...
2004 X5 4.4...to do - nothing! wheels refurbed, amplifier fixed, full MOT, living the dream!
E39 5er various AC Schnitzer mods - gone but not forgotten

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Responded to your PM..........For the record my advice is to send unit back or maybe prior swap out with another owner/member to ascertain if unit has remaining fault.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

John Akurangi

Post by John Akurangi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 am

Hi I hope you will read this.
I have a similar problem with my sound as only have front left (drivers door as am in Italy) speaker and tweeters working on my X5.
Any thoughts to what this could be. Was working fine then stopped about 6 months ago and have only had sound on drivers side.
Ideas?