Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SatNav Screen Protection or Replacement

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

SatNav Screen Protection or Replacement

Post by Sanj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:18 pm

When I bought my X5 (E53) there was a horrendous scratch on the satnav screen. I knew this needed to be sorted so I asked the $tealers and was amazed to find only the front sliding piece was available separately at a cost of over £1300!!!

Used eBay to search for a replacement faulty piece and managed to use the LCD screen from that. Removal is relatively easy:

1. Remove the surround on the screen – plastic clip in pieces that require gentle persuasion to pull away (two top left and right and two on the bottom horizontal side, equally apart). Use a tape and push in but not all the way so it closes the sliding front panel to play the tape. This will hold the front panel down.

2. Four torx screws will be seen behind the surround you’ve just taken off. Unscrew and remove. The screen is now ready to come out. Be REALLY careful not to scratch anything, use towels if you need to, cover the gear stick, etc.

3. Behind the screen are two connectors, blue and white. Unclip these before pulling the screen unit completely away from the dash.

4. Place the screen unit in a clean environment, remove the four screws on the top plate. This will reveal the ribbon cable – unclip the white retaining clip (use a finger nail either side or a small flathead screwdriver). The ribbon will free up and out.

5. The sliding front panel is now free to be removed from the rest of the unit, two screws hold it in place on the sliding mechanism either side.

6. Take the two rotary knobs out, just pull them off. Flip the unit over and remove the 4 screws that hold the casing together.

7. Inside you will find a further set of retaining screws that just need removing and access to the LCD is then possible (sorry, bit vague as this was done a while back).

8. The screen has a connector that will only go in one way. Remove this and replace with your new screen.

9. Reverse the process to complete the replacement.

If you need the screen but can’t find it on eBay, etc try these guys (many thanks to Corima for the original post on xoutpost.com):

Hongkong Eurotech Electronics Co.,Ltd
http://www.eurotech-lcd.com
Tel: +86 755 8395 4767

The part number to search for is:

Sharp LQ065T9BR53U

After all this I needed some sort of screen protection. The solution was simple, glass 10cms by 15cms from any frameless frame! Just sandwich that in as you put the unit back together. You’ll be surprised with the results, brings the screen to life!

Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

otas

Re: SatNav Screen Protection or Replacement

Post by otas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:34 am

[quote=""Sanj""]

After all this I needed some sort of screen protection. The solution was simple, glass 10cms by 15cms from any frameless frame! Just sandwich that in as you put the unit back together. You’ll be surprised with the results, brings the screen to life!

Image[/quote]

Hi Sanj, don't you find too much reflection from your additional cover glass? There is a non-glare coating on the scren surface, which on mine is a bit worn, so I am thinking how to improve it.
cheers otto
Carbon black 3.0d exclusive, black ash, black leather 05 reg.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 am

Is that a towel i see in the door pocket there 'TOWEL BOY' :rofl:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:36 am

[quote=""otas""]Hi Sanj, don't you find too much reflection from your additional cover glass? There is a non-glare coating on the scren surface, which on mine is a bit worn, so I am thinking how to improve it.
cheers otto[/quote]

Hi otto - No I don't get any problems with glare. Seems to be fine for me...

[quote=""x555""]Is that a towel i see in the door pocket there 'TOWEL BOY' :rofl:[/quote]

Git - yes, always handy for 1 years olds when they insist on having food in my car. I then sh!t myself and get the towels out! :lol:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

JF1980

Post by JF1980 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Mate,

Was LQ065T9BR53U the original part number of your unit?  I've seen LQ065T9BR54U on ebay but there's a lot of talk on xoutpost about different model numbers and viewing angles so I want to make sure I get the right one.  Have a few dead pixels and want to replace the LCD before putting my X up for sale.

Thanks,

JF.
Current: 2012 E70 x40D Sport
Previous: 2004 E53 3.0D Sport

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 am

Never replaced my screen - but do a search as someone posted a uk supplier link.

chrisn7

Post by chrisn7 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 pm

These screens are currently available new for about £80. Its quite an easy fix, with specific care only needed when re-inserting the ribbons, which have to be removed with the unit to release the screen panel

chrisn7

Post by chrisn7 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Oh I forgot to mention that you can cut down an iPad screen protector, that also gives a modern look to the screen