Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Source and Fit a Skid Plate E53

How-To articles ONLY go here.
paulbryson75

Source and Fit a Skid Plate E53

Post by paulbryson75 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm

I have very recently fitted a skid plate to my E53 so thought this might be of some interest to some of you.
Personally I am adverse to changing the X5 too much from OEM as love the way it looks, been there done that with the Vauxhall Nova body kits a few years back :D , I saw a car fitted with the skid plate though and really thought it helped the front of the car - so got one for Christmas.
This will only fit the standard bumper - not i believe the unit from the 4.8 though i could be wrong - i also believe that it fits facelift and pre-facelift (mine is a pre)

I tried to source the part in the UK from a couple of dealers - they had never even heard of it - it was only available to source from the US even though it is a BMW OEM part.
Using google i tried a couple of suppliers in the US, as always with dealing with US suppliers communication and customer service was second to none - though most would not ship to Europe. I eventually decided to purchase the part via an ebay shop 'bavarian-auto' - mike@bavarianautoparts.net The cost of the skid plate was $239 and he agreed to post if for $50 making a total of $289 or £185 at the exchange rates at the time.
Shipping took approx 2 weeks though this was early December so Christmas may have played a part, my parcel was also intercepted by customs :evil: so had to pay a total of £38 to have the parcel cleared and delivered. This is a risk you take and would seem haphazard, have ordered several parcels from the states over the years - some get past customs - some don't!

The Skid plate arrived very well packaged, with all instructions and a fitting kit (various screws and fittings) - the instructions are clear and easy to follow. The unit is made of Urethane and is 'ready' to spray when it arrives. I had planned on buying a couple of cans of spray paint in my body colour and spraying myself but when I priced this decided (more expensive than thought and was also worried about quality) on taking the part to a local body shop who charged me a total of £40 to prime, mix the paint and spray.
I decided to paint mine in my cars body colour though I have seen them look really good done in Titanium to match the grill on a black car - looks good.

Total costs then:-
BMW skid Plate and shipping from US £185
Customs and royal mail charge £38
Paint & Spraying £40
Total £263

Fitting - the instructions are clear and easy to follow. Three 9.5mm holes need to be drilled into the lower bumper to facilitate fitting. Fitting the unit took me just over an hour. Tools required, 8mm socket, star screw driver, drill.
The painted unit is held in situ by 5 screws already holding the bumper in place and 3 new fittings added as part of the installation, the unit also has a 'sticky seal' around the edge.

Finished

How unit arrives with instructions

Instructions

In position

All in all very happy with it - did work out more expensive than planned but does make the car quite unique and i do think it improves the frontal look of the car - please excuse winter wheels in photos :oops: .
02 X5 3.0d SE - Mods: Double exhaust, Angel eyes, orange bits removed! M-Sport steering wheel, e70 X5 Alloys, Aftermarket Sat/Nav DVD with rear screen, Webasto T91 Telestart, skid pan.

Minda

Re: Source and Fit a Skid Plate E53

Post by Minda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Nice write up, i'm sure someone else has fitted one of them too. dose look good though!
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

[quote=""Minda""]Nice write up, i'm sure someone else has fitted one of them too. dose look good though![/quote]
King Sanj but I liked this post more ;)

Minda

Post by Minda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:24 pm

[quote=""bullethead""][quote=""Minda""]Nice write up, i'm sure someone else has fitted one of them too. dose look good though![/quote]
King Sanj but I liked this post more ;)[/quote]
:rofl:
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Pauper Sanj you mean.... :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 pm

I saw a silver one....where I can't remember....but it looked ace

What I don't get is if it's a BMW part....why can on not go into any dealer and order it?

I purchased m3 bushes from the dealer to press into the arms on my 318ti sport compact...no questions asked...helluva difference though....never got turned away even though they were not listed for my vehicle

PS....I navigate muddy roads and tracks...I imagine it wouldn't last long....the paintwork that is

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm

[quote=""bullethead""]but I liked this post more ;)[/quote]

Button it and get your car sold! :evil:
Last edited by Sanj on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Minda

Post by Minda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Put ur hand bags away!

paulmb

Post by paulmb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I fitted one on my silver pre face and colour coded it around two years ago.

I bought it from a dealer in Germany, can't remember the name, very easy to fit and makes the front more 'aggressive'

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Found it

Looks the nuts on a silver car

This is some bloke called zerochief

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Looks even better as the car's lowered.

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]Looks even better as the car's lowered.[/quote]

I noticed that...drool fest...not sure how big the wheels are 8-)

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 pm

OEM 20's from the 4.6is

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]Looks even better as the car's lowered.[/quote]

Sure that will help when the first big kerb appears :rofl:

Looks good in the mean time though
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

storminmike
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by storminmike » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]OEM 20's from the 4.6is[/quote]

Hmmm thanks for that...more drooling

[quote=""rusty nail""]

Sure that will help when the first big kerb appears :rofl:

Looks good in the mean time though[/quote]

Makes it look ageless...has that certain hoover little cars up and wider look 8-)