Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lots of smoke and no power

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
JohnH

Re: Lots of smoke and no power

Post by JohnH » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:49 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Any news?[/quote]

I got the codes read and it came up with code p3264 which indicates a problem with the maf or maf sensor.
It's in the garage at the minute so hopefully it all gets sorted this week. I'll report back once I get it back.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Sounds right. If the MAF is giving wrong data then you could get overfuelling of the mixture which would certainly cause black smoke. Dunno what else the MAF feeds data to which would then cause power issues, but no doubt there's a connection into the DDE systems somewhere. Jason might know?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm

I got the car back yesterday and the dealer replaced the MAF. So far all seems much better so hopefully that's it cured.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Happy Easter
John

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Excellent News.. :D :driving:

Can't have any of us cleaner diesel folks being blamed for adding to the smog now can we.

Waits for explosions from fellow members...............:fuelfire:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:23 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]Excellent News.. :D :driving:

Can't have any of us cleaner diesel folks being blamed for adding to the smog now can we.

Waits for explosions from fellow members...............:fuelfire:[/quote]

Thanks - now all I need is a remap :D

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Lots of smoke and no power

Post by Rusty » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 am

[quote=""JohnH""][quote=""X5Sport""]Excellent News.. :D :driving:

Waits for explosions from fellow members...............:fuelfire:[/quote]

Thanks - now all I need is a remap :D[/quote]

Good to hear you have things sorted and for only a MAF price and nothing too expensive like manifolds or turbo. That means you have funds for the remap which I can but strongly advise. It certainly makes a difference all round. Performance is great, especially mid range torque, and mpg will improve.

Let us know how you get on. :-)

Sent from my iPod device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

B1G JV

Post by B1G JV » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm

I had the same problem but on the 4.4 V8 and it was a collapsed cat. The car run fine on low revs, even at high speeds (70-80mph) as soon as I tried to 'boot it' it would cause this problem and wouldn't rev properly. Pulling into service stations to check it out found nothing, started and drove it and it was fine again until i tried to rev hard. had me flummoxed, P&R BMW in London sorted it for me and said upon detecting the restriction in the exhaust the engine management kicks in to limit the revs............... all i know is one cat later (the other was new) and it was back to normal.

Just another thing to think about.
Current: E53 Facelift 3.0d Sport Exclusive, Sterling Grey/Black Nappa Leather, comms, 20"'s, heated steering wheel :p just remapped by Jason @BW Chiptune.
(Previous X5 4.4i Sport, Black/Black, comms, 20" 168's)
Also: E31 840Ci
Previous: 911, M5, 540, RR, 30ish BMW's