Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Welcome aboard, (& a brief lesson in history).

General off-topic chat.
AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Welcome aboard, (& a brief lesson in history).

Post by AW8 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 pm

This site went live on 30/7/10.

History :

Once upon a time there was a forum called x5drivers.co.uk,

x5drivers.co.uk was created by an administrator/site owner some years ago following a suggested idea from a uk member of another website. As x5drivers.co.uk developed the member base got bigger. Myself & pvr were invited to help moderate the x5drivers.co.uk forums.

As moderators on x5drivers.co.uk myself & pvr invested a great deal of time & energy into moderating & helping run that site. An often difficult task when not having certain admin rights & whilst not always enjoying regular & decent communication with the site owner, (we accept this may have been down to rightful higher priorities).

One day in June 2010 the x5drivers.co.uk site went down without warning. Several days passed before before we could contact the site owner. In the meantime we learned that the x5drivers.co.uk domain had allegedly expired & been bought by a speculative investor who had seen fellow x5drivers.co.uk members discussing concerns elsewhere.

Over a few days it transpired that allegedly x5drivers.co.uk domain had been allowed to lapse. Weeks later & despite us eventually contacting the former x5drivers.co.uk admin/owner we were not told of the exact sequence of events that lead to that sites demise. At the time of typing this post we have no idea if we will be able to recover the former data that was on x5drivers.co.uk, (not property of the new owner of that domain), for permiited use here. Sadly this situation is beyond our control & despite our continued efforts.

Moving forward :

Both pvr & myself decided to move ahead with a view to a fresh & unrelated, (this), site & the new domain xdrivers.co.uk was obtained. Discussions took place between pvr & sp3ctre who has considerable knowledge & experience with forum ownership, administration & associated housekeeping. We are very grateful for the kind assistance & support offered buy sp3ctre who has been key in making this forum go live.

Despite having significant non forum related commitments, myself & pvr are looking forward to our new challenge of being administrators & aim to work together to focus on the smooth running of this brand new site. Please bear with us, (especially early on), as the site is new to us too.

So here we are proudly launching our brand new site available for BMW X enthusiasts - xdrivers.co.uk

Welcome aboard - We hope you like xdrivers.co.uk which aims to cater for for enthusiasts & owners of all X models made by BMW & not just focusing on the original, (but inspirational) E53 X5.

We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay albeit please remeber that nobody has to stay here under duress ;)

This site will be as good or as bad as you make it albeit we aim to be around to support & faciltate it's smooth running.

We hope you enjoy the ride.

Sincere thanks to all the folk that contacted us offering support, assistance & encouragement, (& thanks to those that may kindly help us in the future if called upon - even though you may not know it................yet). Also a big thanks to all the other sites that have tolerated & put up with all of us refugees & a special mention to Michelle & team at xoutpost whose support has been fantastic.........Thank you.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.